The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is conducting a food safety investigation into the possible Norovirus contamination of products containing Individual Quick Frozen (IQF) raspberries.
At least one product recall has been triggered by findings emanating from a foodborne disease outbreak investigation.
In response to an inquiry from eFoodAlert, a CFIA spokesperson stated that the recall in question was associated with raspberries from Québec.
The Ministre d’Agriculture, Pêcheries et Alimentation de Québec (MAPAQ) has posted recall notices indicating the origin of the raspberries to be Chile.
As of June 5, 2019, the following recalls are in effect:
- Gelsius brand IQF Raspberries, 5 x 1kg:- Lot #002; Product codes 30/05/2018 and 06/06/2018. Supplied by Distribution Farinex (113712 Canada Inc.) to hotels, restaurants and institutions in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nunavut, Ontario and Québec
- France Délices brand Choco-Raspberry Crunchy, 95g:- Product code 12919. Supplied by France Délices Inc. to consumers in Ontario and Québec.
- Smoothies aux framboises / Raspberry smoothies, 250 ml:- All units sold up to June 2, 2019. Supplied by Le Butterblume, 5830, boulevard Saint-Laurent, Montréal, Québec.
- Sorbet Framboises et Fruit de la Passion / Raspberry and Passionfruit Sorbet, 473 ml:- All units sold up to June 4, 2019. Supplied by Le Quai des glaces, 2138, boul. Saint-Joseph, Lachine, Québec.
- Gâteau Choco-Framboises / Choco-raspberry cake, 680g & 915g:- All units sold up to June 4, 2019. Supplied by Éclats de saveurs inc., 1436, boulevard Curé-Labelle Blainville, Québec.
- Mousse au Chocolat avec Framboises / Chocolate Mousse with Raspberries, 100g:- All units sold up to June 4, 2019. Supplied by Chocolaterie Mathilde Fays inc., 47, rue Notre-Dame, Oka, Québec.
- Gâteau Fruits des Champs / Berry Cake:- All units sold up to June 4, 2019. Supplied by Boulangerie-pâtisserie Lasalle RDP inc., 8591, boulevard Maurice-Duplessis, Montréal, Québec.
- Framboisier and Gâteau Choco-Framboises / Framboisier and Choco-raspberry cake:- All units sold up to June 4, 2019. Supplied by Pâtisserie Dolci Piu 849, boulevard Décarie, Montréal (Saint-Laurent), Québec.
- Cupcake Citron-Framboise / Lemon-raspberry cupcake:- All units sold up to June 4, 2019. Supplied by Cake Design, 194, rue Denison Est, Granby, Québec.
- Gâteau Marie-Antoinette / Marie-Antoinette cake:- All units sold up to June 4, 2019. Supplied by Les Gourmandises de Marie-Antoinette, 4317, rue Ontario Est, Montréal, Québec.
The current situation is reminiscent of a 2017 Norovirus outbreak that also was traced to imported IQF raspberries.
Between March 2017 and July 2017, the consumption of frozen raspberries imported from China was blamed for 615 confirmed cases of Norovirus in Québec. Many of the cases occured in seniors’ residences and child daycare centers.
Symptoms of Norovirus infection include nausea, vomiting and copious watery diarrhea, typically lasting from 24 to 60 hours in healthy adults.
Young children and the elderly are susceptible to severe dehydration. Approximately 1% of Norovirus victims may require hospitalization as a result of their illness.
Consumers who have purchased any of the recalled products should either discard them or return them to the place of purchase.