Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Food Safety Recall: True Taste, LLC (Kenosha, WI) recalls vacuum packaged Hot Smoked Rainbow Trout, Hot Smoked Whitefish, Hot Smoked Herring, Hot Smoked Mackerel, Hot Smoked Salmon Steak, Cold Smoked Mackerel, and Cold Smoked Whitefish (all production dates beginning with 01/01/2012 through current), because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled vacuum packaged smoked fish products were sold under the True Taste label in California and Illinois, and under the Lowell Foods label in Illinois. The potential for contaminated was identified when the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection found that the product did not meet the 3.5% minimum requirement for water phase salt. True Taste LLC has halted production and is cooperating with regulatory authorities.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Matrixx Initiatives recalls Zicam® Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel (0.5 oz spray bottle; NDC #62750-005-10; Lot #2J23; Expiration date 09/15), after Burkholderia cepacia was found in a sample of the product.
- Allergy Alert: 9136-4802 Quebec Inc., dba Délices Al-Manar (East-Angus, QC) recalls Imane Chicken Salami with Fine Herbs (450g; UPC 6 81408 00014 6) and Imane Chicken Wieners (375g; UPC 6 81408 00022 1), due to the presence of undeclared mustard, and recalls Imane Beef Wieners (450g; UPC 6 81408 00020 7), Imane Hot Beef Wieners (450g; UPC 6 81408 00021 4) and Imane Turkey Salami (450g; UPC 6 81408 00024 5), due to the presence of undeclared soy. All Best before dates are affected. The products were distributed in Ontario and Quebec.
- Outbreak Alert (Scotland, UK): Health Protection Scotland has received reports of 684 cases of cryptosporidiosis by the end of the first 50 weeks of 2012, an increase of 60% over the same period in 2011.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1740): Histamine in frozen sardines from Morocco; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1741): Salmonella in salad with ham and chicken slices from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1742): Bacillus cereus and high yeast counts in tofu in sesame oil with chili in glass jar from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to Finland and Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1743): Salmonella in frozen beef trimmings from the Netherlands, via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1744): Salmonella Heidelberg in frozen salted chicken breast fillets from Brazil; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1745): Ochratoxin A in dried figs from Turkey; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1747): Lasalocid above maximum residue level in chicken breast fillets from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1748): Norovirus in hollow oysters from Ireland, dispatched from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium, Denmark, Germany, and Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1749): Mold infestation in raisins from Iran, via Slovakia; distributed to the Czech Republic.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Jindi Cheese Pty Ltd. recalls 1-kg size of Jindi Brie, Jindi Camembert, Jindi Food Service Brie, Wattle Valley Brie, and Wattle Valley Camembert (Best before 21 December 2012), due to potential Listeria spp. contamination. The recalled cheeses were sold in independent supermarkets and delicatessens in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): The Ministry for Primary Industries warns that people are risking their lives when they take and eat shellfish from areas where warnings are in place regarding paralytic shellfish toxins. Some people who ate shellfish from the Bay of Plenty have been admitted to intensive care. Marine biotoxins are heat stable and are not inactivated by cooking.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.