Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Performance Plus Marketing, Inc. recalls Libigrow®, Libigrow XXXtreme®, Blue Diamond®, Blue Diamond Platinum®, Mojo Nights®, Mojo Nights Supreme®, and Casanova® because they contain undeclared Sulfoaildenafil and Thioaildenafil. Please refer to the recall notice for details on affected Lot Numbers. The recalled products were sold to distributors and retail stores nationwide and via the internet.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Basic Organics, Inc. (Columbus, OH) that a March-April 2012 inspection of the company’s facility revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations for dietary supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Jing Sheng Company (Arcadia, CA) that a July 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and its implementing regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Finger Lakes Farmstead Cheese Company LLC (Trumansburg, NY) that a June/July 2012 inspection of the company’s cheese processing facility found Listeria monocytogenes in environmental samples collected from multiple areas of the processing facility and from a finished product sample of Bianco Brie-style Cheese, in addition to serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for food.
- Food Safety Recall: Loblaw Companies Ltd. recalls President’s Choice Organics Split Green Peas (450g; Product code BB MA 2013 OC 11A; UPC 0 60383 70772 9), due to the presence of extraneous material (insect) contamination. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Felix Abba Oy Ab recalls Felix American Dressing (240g; best before 03.26.2013, 26.04.2013 and 06.08.2013), because the product contains undeclared mustard seed.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Musgrave GB recalls SuperValu 4 Vegetable Samosas (160g; Use by 30 December 2012), because the product contains undeclared soy. The recalled product was supplied to Budgens stores only.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La société Tom Guyomarc’h recalls Tom Guyomarc’h Andouilles, all types (Lot 12292 and 12293; All expiry date codes), after Listeria monocytogenes was found in the product. The recalled Andouilles were sold on or after 19-10-2012 directly at the factory, and at self-serve and full-service butchers/delis, in supermarkets, and in hypermarchés in the following départmentes: Alpes-Maritimes, Côtes d’Armor, Finistère, Ille-et-Vilaine, Morbihan, Oise, and Val d’Oise. In many cases, the product no longer carries its original labeling. If in doubt, check with the place of purchase.
- Food Safety Recall Correction (Netherlands): The Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority advises consumers that oysters supplied by the firm Prince & Dingemanse are NOT contaminated with Salmonella. The earlier announced recall was the result of an error.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): The Health Protection Agency reports 337 confirmed lab findings of norovirus in the week ending December 9, 2012 and 236 for the week ending December 2, 2012. The total number of cases confirmed so farm this season is 83% higher than during the same period last season. During the two weeks ending December 16th, there were 61 hospital outbreaks reported, versus 35 outbreaks during the same period last year.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall (Hong Kong): GlaxoSmithKline Limited recalls all Panadol Suspension 120mg/5ml (60 ml bottles) due to an error in the Chinese translation of the labeling.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Grand Bazaar Ltd. recalls Gesas brand Tahini (18 kg buckets, 1000g plastic bottles and 600g glass jars; Exp 06.2014), after Salmonella is found in the product. The recalled tahini was sold in ethnic retail supermarkets throughout New Zealand.
- Outbreak Alert Update (New Zealand): The New Zealand Herald reports that 20 people have been poisoned since last Wednesday by eating shellfish collected from the Bay of Plenty shoreline. Ten of the victims were admitted for hospital care; four remain in hospital. A warning was issued for this area in August 2012 and remains in effect.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.