Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Living Harvest recalls Living Harvest Hempmilk (32-oz; All flavors; Best before August 1, 2012 through August 31, 2012), due to product clumping. The recalled product was sold at Buehler’s Fresh Foods and may also have been sold at other retailers.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that a total of 15 persons have now been confirmed to be part of the outbreak of E. coli O145 in Alabama (2), California (1), Florida (1), Georgia (5), Louisiana (5) and Tennessee (1). One death has been reported in Louisiana, and four of the 15 victims were hospitalized. The source of this outbreak still has not been identified.
- Outbreak Alert: Seven attendees at a nationwide meeting of county commissioners held in Portland, Oregon became ill after eating breakfast at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Northeast Portland. All seven at eggs benedict; an eighth person who also ate eggs benedict had the hollandaise sauce on the side, and did not become ill. Lab tests confirmed that two of the seven people were sickened by Staphylococcus aureus toxin. The other five people were not tested, and none of the sauce was available for lab testing.
- Outbreak Alert: About 40 students attending a program at George Mason University developed gastroenteritis, thought to be due to a norovirus infection.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Frozen Value Ltd withdraws Picard Chocolate and Pistachio Cones (box of 6 ice creams; Best before March 2013), because the product contains traces of undeclared peanut.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Aldi K/S recalls Whole, fresh chilled chicken (1300g; Lot 25069280; Best before 12-06-2012; Product of Germany), after Campylobacter was detected in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Thailandia Import recalls Fresh red chili pepper (100g plastic bag; Lot #603-900), after insect larvae were found in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kohberg Bakery Group A/S recalls Kohberg Kanelgifler (260g; Lot code B4, B5 and B6; Best before 26/6-2012, 27/6-2012 and 28/6-2012), due to mold growth.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Belgium): Five people remain hospitalized due to an STEC E. coli outbreak that has sickened 21 people in Limbourg.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Marchetti Smallgoods recalls Marchetti Leg Ham, sliced (approx. 200g vacuum-sealed pkg; Use by 05.07.12), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold in small independent supermarkets in Victoria.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.