Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Leasa Industries Co., Inc. (Miami, FL) recalls LEASA Living Alfalfa Sprouts (6-oz containers; Use by date 7/2/12; UPC 75465-55912), after routine customer sample testing detected Salmonella in the product. The recalled product was sold at Publix stores in the Atlanta Division and Miami Division, and may also have been distributed to other grocery stores, retailers and food service clients.
- Food Safety Recall: Square-H Brands, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) recalls Coarse Ground Smoked Bacon Ends and Pieces (25-lb cases; Packaged April 25, 2012; Est 748; Case code 1410070), because the product may contain pieces of cardboard and plastic. The recalled product was distributed to a separate federally inspected establishment in Hawaii for further distribution and use in other products.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that a total of 390 persons infected with the outbreak strains of Salmonella Bareilly (376 persons) or Salmonella Nchanga (14 persons) have been reported from 27 states and the District of Columbia; 47 people hospitalized. The outbreak was linked in April to the consumption of a frozen raw yellowfin tuna product known as Nakaochi Scrape, supplied by Moon Marine USA Corporation. The implicated product was recalled by the importer.
- Food Safety Recall: Walmart Canada Corp. recalls Smithfield Pork Back Ribs (1.354 kg; Best before 2012 JN 14 and 2012 JN 15; UPC 6 28915 00804 3). No reason was given for the recalled. The product was sold in Ontario.
- Food Recall: Pepsico Beverages Canada recalls Tropicana Essentials Orange Juice with Added Calcium & Vitamin D – No Pulp (2.63 L; Code JL 09 12; UPC 0 48500 01847 4), giving “Nutrition” as the reason for the recall. The recalled product was sold nationally.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Health Canada reports that Natural Vigor Maximum (Manufactured in Canada by Professional Botanicals Inc.; Distributed by Magic Health Food Corporation) has been removed from sale in Ontario after testing by Health Canada identified the presence of undisclosed dimethylhomosildenafil, an ingredient that may pose serious risks to health. The product was sold at Magic Health (Toronto), Herb Vitamin (Mississauga) and Smart Natural Health Products Inc. (Markham), as well as through the Magic Health Food Corporation website, and may also have been distributed elsewhere in Canada.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Lituanica UK Ltd. recalls Pasaka Vermisellai Pasta (400g; All date codes up to and including 16 March 2014), because the product, which was labeled as egg-free, has been found to contain traces of egg.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Dr. Oetker Denmark A/S recalls Dr. Oetker Mousse au Chocolat (190g; Best before 21.05.2013 and 22.09.2013), because the product contains undeclared soy.
- Food Safety Alert (Netherlands): Dille & Kamille warns that some bottles of Breckland Orchard Pear & Elder Flower and Breckland Orchard Blackcurrant & Raspberry soft drinks probably are excessively pressurized, which might cause the bottle cap to explode off the bottle spontaneously.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Novartis Pharma S.A.S. recalls Trileptal (oxcarbazepine), 600 mg coated tablets (Lots #T1047, T1062, T1069, T1085 and T1091) due to an error in the braille dosage imprint.
- Outbreak Alert (Ireland): Four Longford children have been hospitalized after an outbreak of E. coli in two Co. Longford creches, according to a report in the Longford Leader.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating yet another confirmed case of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli, this time in a 77-year old woman with a history of chronic illness. The patient had no recent travel history, and her home contacts were asymptomatic.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two fatal cases of Vibrio vulnificus infections – both of them fatal. One of the two patients had consumed raw mantis shrimp. The home contacts of both victims were asymptomatic.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.