Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Healthy Choice Island Blends, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) recalls Liquid Gold Carrot Juice (16-oz, 32-oz and 64-oz plastic see-through containers; UPC 7 63213 00130; All codes), because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled Carrot Juice was distributed in California and sold wholesale to produce companies.
- Food Safety Recall: Dole Fresh Vegetables recalls Kroger Fresh Selections Greener Supreme bagged salad (Code N158 211B 1613 KR04; Use-by June 19; UPC 11110 91039), Kroger Fresh Selections Leafy Romaine bagged salad (Code N158 111B KR11; Use-by June 19; UPC 11110 91046) and Wal Mart Marketside Leafy Romaine bagged salad (Code N158111B; Use-by June 19; UPC code 81131 02781), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recall was initiated after the State of North Carolina found Listeria monocytogenes in a random sample test of Marketside Leafy Romaine salad.
- Food Safety Recall: Hidden Valley recalls Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Crispins (2.5 oz; Lot #DBG1; Best before NOV 27 2012; UPC 10071100008347), because the product may have been manufactured with a seasoning blend ingredient that is the subject of the recent Kerry Ingredients recall (potential for contamination with metal fragments).
- Outbreak Alert: The Onondaga County Health Commissioner announces that there have been 15 lab-confirmed and an additional 10 probable cases of Shigella infections identified in the county. The source of the outbreak is under investigation.
- Allergy Alert: Pâtisseries Sanda Inc. (Brossard, QC) recalls Milles-Feuilles – Custard (450g packages; Code 12151; UPC 8 93837 00048 6), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Deltason Trading Ltd. recalls Yellow Croaker – Fresh (various sizes; Sold at retail between May 16, 2012 and May 20, 2012, inclusive), due to the presence of drug residues. The recalled product was sold in British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall: Loblaw Companies Ltd. recalls Kettle Cheddar & Sour Cream Krinkle Cut Potato Chips (397g; Code 2012 NO 22; UPC 0 84114 11731 1) and Kettle New York Cheddar Potato Chips (220g; Code 2012 NO 15; UPC 0 84114 11907 0), due to extraneous material (metal) contamination.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert (France): La Société des viandes élaborées d’Estillac recalls Jean Roze, Netto and Top Budget brands fresh ground steak, 15% and 20% fat (Expiration dates from 28 May to 15 June 2012), in connection with an investigation into cases of E. coli infections that may be linked to the consumption of fresh ground steak (ie., hamburgers). The recalled meat was sold in the self-serve fresh meat departments between May 22nd and June 15th in Intermarché and Netto stores in the following South-West region départements: 12, 16, 17, 19, 24, 31, 32, 33, 40, 46, 47, 64, 65, 81, 82, 87.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Belgium): Two new cases of E. coli infection have been confirmed in Limburg Province, bringing the total number of outbreak victims to 23.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0855): Undeclared soy in chocolate mousse from France; distributed to Denmark and Iceland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0856): Risk of physical injury due to explosion of overpressurised bottles containing juices from the United Kingdom; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0858): Suspicion of food poisoning caused by dietetic food product from unknown origin, via Norway; distributed to Poland.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.