Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Domega NY International Co. Ltd. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Green Day brand Dried Coconut (3 oz/85 clear plastic bag; Exp 09/13/2014; UPC 6 950296 800744; Product of China) due to undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was sold in New York City.
- Food Safety Recall: ZIP International Group LLC recalls Astrakhansky Lesh Dry Salted Fish (bream) Eviscerated (14.2 oz; UPC 835856001228; Product of Russia; Distributed by East Coast Foods Inc., Brooklyn, NY) because the product was found to be uneviscerated and has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled product was supplied to retail stores and wholesalers in September 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Taylor Farms Retail, Inc. (Salinas, CA) recalls Central Market Organics brand Organic Baby Spinach (16 oz tray; UPC 0 41220-18534-4; Best by 2/24/2013; Distributed in Texas), Full Circle Organic brand Organic Baby Spinach (16 oz tray; UPC 0-36800-28875-1; Best by 2/24/2013; Distributed in California), Marketside Organic brand Organic Baby Spinach (5 oz tray; UPC 6-81131-32898-2; Best by 2/24/2013; Distributed in AR, CO, LA, NM, OK, TX), Simple Truth Organic brand Organic Baby Spinach (5 oz tray; UPC 0-11110-91128-5; Best by 2/24/2013; Distributed in AK, AZ, CA, CO, ID, LA, MO, MT, NM, OR, TX, UT, WA, WY), and Taylor Farms Organic brand Organic Baby Spinach (16 oz tray; UPC 0-30223-04780-3; Best by 2/24/2013; Distributed in AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IN, IL, KS, KY, LA, MD, MO, MN, MS, MT, NC, NE, NM, NV, NJ, NY, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, WY), because the products may be contaminated with Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli. The recalled products were supplied to Walmart, Sam’s Club, Winco, Food 4 Less, FoodsCo and Ralphs, and may also have been distributed to other retailers.
- Food Safety Recall: Rich’s Products recalls All Natural Ancient Grain Bread Dough (13.8 oz; UPC 49800 08712; Lot Nos. 77002209 through 77003302) due to possible presence of metal mesh fragments.
- Food Safety Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Fresh Bakery items containing raisins (purchased between December 14, 2012 and February 8, 2013), due to the presence of naturally occurring foreign matter in the raisins. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of recalled products.
- Food Recall: Food City alerts consumers to a recall of Food Club Pineapple Tidbit Cups (4/4oz). Consumers may contact the manufacturer at 1-888-423-0139 for more details.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that the outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium infections linked to ground beef now includes a total of 18 persons from Arizona (1), Iowa (1), Illinois (2), Michigan (9) and Wisconsin (5). Seven people have been hospitalized; there are no fatalities.
- Allergy Alert: Something Special Deli-Foods Ltd. recalls Something Special Gourmet Antipasto Vegetarian Tangy Vegetables (250g; UPC 0 58353 20505 4; Best before 16.JAN.2015; Code 2A3016), due to undeclared fish. The recalled product was shipped to warehouses in British Columbia and Ontario.
- Food Recall: Farm Boy Inc. recalls Farm Boy Leek & Potato Soup (946 mL; Best before JAN. 31) due to contamination with ‘non-harmful’ extraneous material.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La société Candessoussens François recalls Maison Lasserre meat-based canned foods, including rillettes de canard, gésiers and foie gras (Produced on or after July 1, 2012), due to inadequate product stability. The recalled products were supplied to local markets (Peyrehorade, Hagetmau) in Landes.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Norway): Mattilsynet reports that the source of the outbreak strain of Salmonella Mikawashima, which infected 13 people in nine different regions in November 2012, was never found.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.