Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: DZH Import & Export Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Mountains Dried Mushroom (1.23 oz/35g plastic tray; Best before NOV 30, 2013; UPC 6931653104064; Product of China), due to undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was sold in New York City.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Genesis Herb Company, L.L.C. (Monroeville, OH) that a May-July 2012 inspection of the company’s Canton dietary supplement manufacturing facility revealed significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for dietary supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns W.H. Walker & Sons, Inc. (Clintondale, NY) that a September 2012 inspection of the company’s juice processing facility found serious deviations from the FDA’s juice processing regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns M.D.R. Fitness Corp (Sunrise, FL) that a July-August 2012 inspection of the company’s facility revealed a failure to comply with the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for dietary supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Scilabs Nutraceuticals Inc. (Irvine, CA) that a July-August 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing facility found serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations in Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Gills Onions, LLC (Oxnard, CA) that a July 5, 2012 and Ausut 27, 2012 collection of samples yielded isolates of Listeria monocytogenes that are indistinguishable from each other by PFGE (genetic fingerprint) analysis.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Consolidated Marketing Unlimited, Inc. (Sunrise, FL) that an April-May 2012 inspection of the company’s facility found serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice in the Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements.
- Allergy Alert: Terra International Food Inc. recalls Rising Sun Farms Lemon Thyme Balsamic Dressing (354mL; Best before 06/29/16; UPC 0 18646 00068 1), due to undeclared sulphites. The recalled product was supplied to retailers in Alberta, British Columbia, and Manitoba.
- Allergy Alert: Yum Yum Food (Toronto, ON) recalls Yum Yum Food Shrimp Wonton (200g; UPC 8 30121 10015 6) and Yum Yum Food Shrimp Dumpling (170g; UPC 8 30121 10016 3) due to undeclared egg and milk. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (Sweden): Findus withdraws Lasagna (375g pouch; Part #63957) after test results show that the product contained horse meat.
- Enforcement Action (UK): Food Standards Agency (FSA) raids Peter Boddy Licensed Slaughterhouse (Todmorden, West Yorkshire), which is believed to have supplied horse carcasses to Farmbox Meats Ltd. (Llandre, Aberystwyth), which also was raided as part of the investigation. FSA has suspended operations at both plants, detailed all meat found and seized paperwork, including customer lists.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0178): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of wet salted cod fillets from the Faroe Islands; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0179): Aflatoxins in maize from Greece; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0181): Aflatoxins in almond powder from Ghana; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0182): Salmonella enteritidis in frozen beef trimmings from Poland; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0183): Salmonella in pasteurized cow milk cheese from France; distributed to Belgium and France.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.