Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Recall: Food City advises its customers that the manufacturer has recalled Sour Patch Jelly Beans (13 oz bags). Consumers wishing to obtain additional information may contact the manufacturer at 1-800-524-2854.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: The Missouri Department of Agriculture halts custom exempt processing operations at Leinbach Custom Processing (Versailles) due to violations related to the business’s use of non-potable water in plant operations.
- Allergy Alert: Yum Yum Food (Toronto, ON) recalls Yum Yum Food brand Sui Mai, frozen (228g pkgs; UPC 8 30121 10017 0; All codes) due to undeclared egg and milk. The recalled product was distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety News: Canada has appointed an Independent Expert Advisory Panel to review the events and circumstances surrounding the recent XL Foods Inc. E. coli O157:H7 investigation, recalls and outbreak. the Panel members include Dr. Ronald Lewis (Chair), Dr. Ronald Usborne, and Dr. André Corriveau.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Carrefour recalls Carrefour (Engagement Qualité Carrefour) and Cultimer oysters due to possible Norovirus contamination. Please refer to the recall notice for additional details.
- Food Safety Recall (France): The Prefecture of La Manche recalls all shellfish harvested from the Zone de depot de la zone de production No 50-14 Blainville-Gouville, due to norovirus contamination in oysters sampled on January 28, 2013 from the indicated zone.
- Food Recall (France): Carrefour recalls Carrefour Lasagnes bolognaise, frozen (600g and 1kg), Carrefour Cannelloni bolognaise, frozen (600g), Grand Jury Lasagnes bolognaise, frozen (600g) and Grand Jury Cannelloni bolognaise, frozen (600g) because the products may contain horse meat. Please refer to the recall notice for additional details.
- Food Recall (France): Findus recalls Findus brand Moussaka (600g; UPC 3599740007969), Lasagne Bolognaise (600g; UPC 3599740004517), Hachis Parmentier (600g; UPC 3599740004500), Lasagnes Bolognaise (1.2kg; UPC 3599740007983) and Hachis Parmentier (1.2kg; UPC 3599740007990), because the products contain horse meat. Please refer to the recall notice for additional details.
- Food Recall (France): Picard recalls Picard Formule Express Lasagnes à la Bolognaise (300g; Lots #314/12 and 315/12; Code 57376) due to suspicion of the presence of horse meat.
- Food Recall (Greece): Marinopoulos SA recalls Carrefour Lasagne Bolognese (1kg) and Carrefour Cannelloni Bolognese (600g), due to suspicion of the presence of horse meat.
- Food Recall (UK): Aldi Stores recalls Aldi Today’s Special Frozen Beef Lasagne (400g; All date codes) and Aldi Today’s Special Frozen Spaghetti Bolognese (400g; All Date codes) due to finding horse meat (between 30% and 100%) in some samples.
- Food Withdrawal (Ireland): Aldi withdraws Aldi Today’s Special Frozen Beef Lasagna (all batch codes/best before dates) and Aldi Today’s Special Frozen Spaghetti Bolognaise (all batch codes/best before dates) after the company’s tests revealed that some samples contained between 30% and 100% horse meat.
- Food Recall (Sweden): Axfood withdraws Eldorado Lasagna Bolognese (1kg) Willys Lasagna Bolognese (400g) and Hemköp Lasagna Bolognese (400g) because the products are suspected to contain horse meat.
- Food Recall (Sweden): Coop withdraws Coop Lasagna (400g) due to a suspicion that the product may contain horse meat.
- Food Recall (Sweden): ICA recalls ICA brand Basic Lasagne (400g; all best before dates) because the product may contain horse meat.
- Food Safety Notification (EU 2013.0172): Hepatitis A virus in pitted dates from Algeria, via France; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0173): Norovirus in chilled oysters from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU 2013.0175): Chlorfenapyr in fresh papaya from Brazil; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0176): Salmonella Bredeney in frozen beef trimmings from Poland, via the Netherlands and via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0177): Salmonella in dried green pepper from India, via Germany; distributed to Estonia.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Seafood Marketing Ltd. recalls Seastar Samosa (750g pkgs; Best before 20.11.2014) and Seastar Vegetable Spring Rolls (750g pkgs; Best before 20.11.2014) due to undeclared soy.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Fonterra Brands Australia recalls the following CalciYum yoghurt pouches (70g; All Best before dates up to and including 11 MAR 13) due to a potential choking hazard: Disney Princess Strawberry Yoghurt, Ben 10 Vanilla Yoghurt, Toy Story Vanilla Yoghurt, Cars Strawberry Yoghurt, Mickey and Minnie Tropical Yoghurt, and Wiggles Banana Yoghurt. The recalled products were sold in Coles, Woolworths and independent supermarkets nationally.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Australia): The outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections linked to cheeses manufactured by Jindi Cheese Company (Victoria), now stands at 26 illnesses, including a third death – a 68-year old man from New South Wales.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
One thought on “Recalls and Alerts: February 11, 2013”
Reblogged this on Ned Hamson Second Line View of the News and commented:
Bad day for EU –