Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: Tri City Cheese and Meats (Kawkawlin, MI) recalls Troll Smokehouse Fully Cooked Jalapeño Vienna sausage products ( 1- and 2.5-lb Cryovac bags; Est 32015; Sell by 12/17/12 through 01/03/13), because they contain undeclared monosodium glutamate (MSG). The recalled product was distributed to retail establishments in Michigan.
- Food Safety Recall: Veggie Patch recalls Veggie Patch Ultimate Meatless Burgers (9 oz; UPC 61012900211; Sell by date January 12, 2013), because of possible contamination by Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold at Stop & Shop, Giant Food Stores, Martin’s, and Giant of Maryland stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Food City advises its customers that Hillshire Lil Smokies (12-14 oz) have been recalled. No additional information was provided by the retailer.
- Outbreak Alert Final Update: CDC reports that the Salmonella Bredeney outbreak associated with contaminated peanut butter manufactured by Sunland, Inc. (Portales, NM) appears to be over. In total, 42 people were infected with the outbreak strain in 20 states. Ten people were hospitalized. FDA has suspended the company’s food facility registration, prohibiting Sunland from introducing food into commerce in the USA.
- Allergy Alert: Pure Indulgent Foods Inc. recalls Flats by Pure Apricot Pecan Unique Savory Baked Crackers (170g; Code 5/30 13; UPC 8 73376 00303 2), because the product contains undeclared sulphites. The recalled product was sold through retailers in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: ERAA Supermarket Inc. recalls ERAA Jaggery Lump Brown Sugar (900g; Batch 06/12; Best before AUG 2013; UPC 8 901792 100911 and 8 901792 101321), due to contamination with unspecified extraneous material. The recalled product was sold through retailers in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Food Safety Authority of Ireland warns consumers that Kupiec corn flour “gluten free” (400g; Product of Poland; Batch B184 PL; Best before 31/01/2013) was found to contain undeclared gluten. The product, which is known in Polish as Maka Kukurydziana, has been sold in stores across Ireland, mainly those selling Eastern European foods.
- Food Safety Recall (France): SARL Fontanilles recalls Charcuterie Fontanilles brand of meat-based canned deli products (Expiry 2016), due to lack of product stability. The recalled products were sold in the département of Tarn after May 23, 2012. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of retailers that carried the recalled products.
- Food Safety Recall (Switzerland): La fromagerie Moléson recalls Le Capriglânois soft curd goat cheese, made from raw milk (80g; Lot # L224703 / L224935 / L225166 / L225436 / L226154; Expiry dates 6.12.2012 / 7.12.2012 / 10.12.2012 / 11.12.2012 / 14.12.2012), after Listeria monocytogenes was found in the product.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Norway): The number of illnesses due to Salmonella Mikawasima has risen to 12 cases in nine counties, including Oslo (1 patient) Akershus (1), Vestfold (1), Aust-Agder (1), Vest-Agder (3) Telemark (1), Oppland (1 ), Hordaland (2) and Nordland (1). All of the affected individuals are adults, most of them aged 20 – 50 years. Norway’s Public Health Institute is continuing its investigation into the source of the outbreak.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1658): Listeria monocytogenes in gorgonzola and mascarpone cheese cake from Italy; distributed to Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1659): Sulfathiazole and sulfadimidine in forest honey from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1660): Mercury in frozen slices of swordfish from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1661): Mercury in frozen sword fish from Spain; distributed to Germany and Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Delin (Australia) Trading Pty Ltd. recalls Favor Swallow Bean Sauce (350g glass jar; Best before 18/09/14; Product of China) due to contamination with Bacillus cereus. The recalled product was sold in some Asian supermarkets in Victoria only.
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): The New Zealand Herald reports that a ward has been closed at Hawke’s Bay Hospital due to an outbreak of vomiting and diarrhea among staff and patients. Visitors have been urged to stay away.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.