Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: Sukhi’s Gourmet Indian Foods recalls Sukhi’s Red Curry Vegetables (UPC 7-67226-02901-6; Lot code 3390113612; Use-by date 5/14/2013), due to the presence of undeclared shrimp. The recalled product was shipped to distributers in California, Texas, Minnesota and Georgia, between the dates of 5/21/2012 and 10/15/2013.
- Food Safety Alert: The Arkansas Department of Health alerts the public that stolen ham products sold out of a truck on Chicot Road (Little Rock, AR) may not be safe to eat. Consumers should destroy any ham that was bought from the truck since proper handling to ensure the food is safe to eat cannot be verified.
- Allergy Alert: M&M Meat Shops Ltd. (Kitchener ON) recalls M&M Meat Shops brand Marinated Barbecue Chicken Kabob (142g/5-oz pkg), because the product contains undeclared mustard and gluten. The recalled kabobs were distributed nationally through M&M Meat Shops retail stores.
- Allergy Alert: Lennie Ciglen Distribution Inc. (Toronto, ON) recalls all lot codes of Cleo’s Peanut Butter Cups (43g; UPC 8 99033 00204 0), Mahalo Candy Bar (57g; UPC 8 99033 00203 3), SNAP! Candy Bar (50g; UPC 8 99033 00205 7), Buccaneer Candy Bar (57g; UPC 8 99033 00202 6), Jokerz Candy Bar (60g; UPC 8 99033 00200 2) and Twilight Candy Bar (60g; UPC 8 99033 00201 9), because the products contain undeclared milk. The recalled Dairy-free Vegan Candy Bars were produced in the USA. The products are known to have been distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): E. Mauri SPA recalls Gorgonzola dolce DOP Simply (Lot 2070011; Expiry 05/12/2012), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1656): Unauthorized isoprocarb in green tea from China; distributed to France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1657): Undeclared gluten in corn flour from Poland; distributed to Ireland, Poland, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Israel): The Jerusalem Post reports that Israel’s Ministry of Health has warned consumers that EZbetic, which is registered as a “natural” food supplement, contains the medication glibornuride, which is used to treat type II diabetes. Use of this product is liable to cause a dangerous and rapid drop in blood sugar. The product is sold mostly door-to-door and via the Internet, especially in the northern part of the country.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.