Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Hannaford Supermarkets recalls Red Velvet Cake Truffle (UPC 20335800000) and Triple Chocolate Cake Truffle (UPC 20335700000) due to the presence of undeclared egg, peanuts, wheat, soy and tree nuts. The recalled product was distributed in New York, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont.
- Allergy Alert: Asia Cash & Carry Inc. (Maspeth, NY) recalls Nova Salted Biscuit (14.08 oz/400g paper box; Expiration dates March 2013, November 2013 and December 2013; Product of Bangladesh), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: S & P Company, Limited (Paramount, CA) recalls Su-non Crush Roasted Thai Red Pepper ‘Super Hot’ Flakes (10.58 oz; Bar code 659613000770), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed in Los Angeles Area Grocery stores (between July of 2012 to October 2012) including Bell and Long Beach, in Rockford, IL, in Phoenix, AZ, in Omaha, NE and in Brooklyn, NY.
- Food Safety Recall: Justin’s recalls various peanut butter products after receiving notification from their contract manufacturer, Fresca Foods, Inc. (Louisville, CO) that the products may contain peanut butter from Sunland and may be contaminated with Salmonella. Please refer to the recall announcement for a detailed list of products and code dates. The items were distributed nationally to numerous supermarket chains and were available for purchase on the internet from 3/23/10 to 9/26/12.
- Food Safety Recall: AdvancePierre Foods recalls select frozen products including Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, Peanut Butter and Jelly Graham Cracker sandwiches and Peanut Butter cup products (produced in Easley, SC), because the products contain peanut butter supplied by Sunland and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were manufactured between the dates of July 17, 2011 through May 18, 2012 and distributed nationwide through retail stores, food service, convenience stores and the USDA commodity foods programs
- Food Safety Recall: Lin-Mar Partners, Inc. (Austin, TX) recalls Longhorn Roasted Peanut with Chocolate Energy Bars (UPC 8-57087-00301-7; Best by date 11/10/12) and Longhorn Peanut Butter Trail Mix Protein Bars (UPC 8-57087-00303-1; Best by date 11/11/12), because they may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed in Texas through Randall’s, Tom Thumb, HEB, University of Texas Coop, and Academy retail stores.
- Food Safety Recall: JagRma LLC (San Diego, CA) recalls NuttZo Original (16 oz; UPC 894697002030; Best By 10/7/12 – 12/31/12), because the product may contain peanuts supplied by Sunland, and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed from October 2011 to February 2012 through natural grocery retail stores in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nevada, California, Arizona, Hawaii; and through mail order in 50 states.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that, as of October 11th, 20 people in 12 states and the District of Columbia were infected with the outbreak strain of Listeria monocytogenes associated with Frescolina Marte brand ricotta salata cheese imported from Italy. Nineteen of the 20 victims were hospitalized. Four people died and there was one miscarriage ending in death of the fetus.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that the Salmonella Montevideo and Salmonella Hadar outbreaks associated with live poultry in backyard flocks appear to be over. A total of 93 people from 23 states and Puerto Rico were infected with Salmonella Montevideo; 21 people were hospitalized and one person died. A total of 46 people from 11 states were infected with Salmonella Hadar; 13 were hospitalized, and all survived.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Clark County Washington Public Health reports 15 confirmed and 44 probable cases of Salmonella linked to On the Border restaurant in Vancouver, WA. The source of the outbreak has not been determined.
- Food Safety Recall: Starbucks Coffee Canada Inc. (Toronto, ON) recalls Starbucks Protein Bistro Box kits (192g pkgs; UPC 7 62111 88794 8; Best before 12SE29 to 12OC07, inclusive), because the Bistro Box contains Justin’s brand Honey Peanut Butter Blend (0.5 oz pouch; UPC 894455000391; Best by between 07-14-13 and 08-30-13), which may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: G. Brandt Meat Packers Ltd. recalls Brandt Polish Ham (4 kg; Best before 2012 Oct 21, 2012 Oct 29, and 2012 Nov 04), due to contamination with Clostridium perfringens. The recalled product was sold in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada reports that 15 cases of E. coli O157 illness have been linked to beef from XL Foods Inc. (Brooks, AB). Cases were confirmed in Alberta (7), Newfoundland and Labrador (1), Quebec (4) and British Columbia (3).
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Stryhns A/S, Graasten Salater recalls Lunch Salad brand Russian Salad (200g plastic cups), because the product contains undeclared milk and soy.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Coöbra recalls Green Celery (Lot 2527), because the product contains excessive levels of dimethoate and cyhalothrine (lambda).
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Max Krone recalls Nordic Gourmet Crispbread (150g; Best before 1/12-2012 and 1/1-2013), because moths and larvae have been found in some individual packages.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Eliza Chocolate Wholesale ApS recalls Chokolatier nøddebar, milk and dark varieties (35g; All date codes), because moth larvae were found in some packages.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Løgismose Dairy A/S recalls Løgismose Organic Skyr, Natural (350g; Best before 23/10-2012), Løgismose Organic Skyr with raspberries, rhubarb and vanilla (250g; Best before 23/10-2012) and Løgismose Organic Skyr with mango, passion and ginger (250g; Best before 23/10-2012), due to a high level of yeast in the products.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Brasserie de Saint-Omer extends its recall of several brands of beer, as a limited number of bottles may contain small pieces of glass. Please refer to the recall notice for details of the recalled products, which were sold by Aldi, Asda, Co-op, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, and Tesco.
- Outbreak Alert (France): Eighteen cases of food poisoning have been reported between September 21st and October 10th in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region. The cause of the poisonings was traced to contamination of organic buckwheat flour with datura, a wild plant that naturally contains high levels of atropine and scopolamine. These alkaloid chemicals are toxic to humans.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Twenty-seven guests at the Bay Great Western Hotel in Oban have developed symptoms consistent with norovirus infection. The hotel remains open for business, but is working to contain the virus.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Wah Shun Medicine Limited recalls Tian Ma Toutong Wan (Batch #80090TR3; Manufactured in Mainland China), because the product contains approximately 1.6 times the permitted level of lead.
- Proprietary Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Peking Medicine Manufactory recalls Bak Foong Pills (Batch #AL0225), because the product contains approximately 1.7 times the permitted level of mercury.
- Proprietary Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Kin Lik Trading Company Limited recalls 24 brands of unregistered proprietary Chinese medicines.
- Herbal Medicine Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health advises the public not to buy or consume the oral product known as Snake Powder Capsule for Rheumatism, as it may contain undeclared Western medicines, including piroxicam, dexamethasone, hydrochlorothiazide and cimetidine.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Roche Hong Kong Limited recalls Rocephin for Inj 250mg IM (HK-20182), Rocephin for Inj 500mg IM (HK-20187), Rocephin for Inj 500mg IV (HK-20188), Rocephin for Inj 1g IV (HK-20190), Rocephin for Inj 1g IM (HK-20192) and Rocephin for Inj 250mg IV (HK-52844) because of a stability issue.
Australia and New Zealand
- Vaccine Recall (Australia): GlaxoSmithKline Australia Pty Ltd. recalls Infanrix hexa vaccine (Batch #A21CB144A, A21CB188D, A21CB188E, A21CB190A, A21CB197A and A21CB221B; Expiry 21 January 2014), because a surface in the area where one of the manufacturing steps for the vaccine takes place was found to be contaminated with a small amount of Bacillus cereus. No contamination was found either in the ingredients or in the vaccine itself.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration advises the public that Naturally Kouxan Best Slim Capsules contain the undeclared prescription drug sibutramine and should not be used.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.