Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for Chicken Wyngz products recalled by Tyson Foods, Inc.
- Food Safety Recall: Flying Food Group (Chicago, IL) recalls Starbucks Protein Bistro Box (6.8 oz; UPC 762111881502; Enjoy By Dates 8/10/12 – 10/6/12), because the product contains 0.5 oz single-serve Honey Peanut Butter squeeze packs that contain peanut butter recalled by Sunland due to potential Salmonella contamination. The recalled Bistro Boxes were distributed in CT, MA, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, GA, FL, IL, WI, MN, IN, TX, AZ, NV, CA.
- Food Safety Recall: Dean Foods Company of California (Buena Park, CA) and Meadow Gold Dairy (Orem, UT) recall Albertsons Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream (1.5 qt/1.42L container; UPC 41163 45891; Best By or EXP dates from 4/6/2011 to 9/25/2013) and Albertsons Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream (1.5 qt/1.42L container; UPC 41163 45903; Best By or EXP dates from 3/26/2011 to 8/3/2013), because the products contain a peanut butter ingredient that may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled produces were sold in Albertsons stores in California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming and Washington.
- Food Safety Recall: Four Seasons Dairy Inc. recalls Herring Fillets “Atlantic Recipe” in oil (16.66 oz/500g plastic tubs; Product of Ukraine; Expiration 12/11/12), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was distributed nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Velvet Ice Cream recalls Velvet Supreme Peanut Butter Cup (1/2 gal; UPC 70682 10119; Code #10181; Manufactured 6/30/2010), Velvet Peanut Butter Cup (3 gal; UPC 70682 10539; Code 10181; Manufactured 6/30/2010), Velvet Buckeye Classic (56 oz; UPC 70682 10038; Code 10193; Manufactured 7/12/2010), Velvet Buckeye Classic (3 gal; UPC 70682 10519; Codes 10193, 12207, 12227; Manufactured 7/12/2010, 7/25/2012, 8/14/2012, respectively) and Velvet Buckeye Classic (pints; UPC 70682 10423; Code 12251; Manufactured 9/07/2012), because the peanut products contained in the ice creams may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products are sold at convenience stores, small independent retailers and ice cream parlors in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
- Food Safety Recall: Fresh Express Incorporated (Charlotte, NC) recalls Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine Salad (18 oz pkg; Product code S270A24; Use by October 11), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Romaine Salad was distributed in AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, KS, LA, MN, MT, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, TX, UT, WA, WI, WY.
- Food Safety Recall: Oregon Ice Cream expands its earlier recall to include the following products that contain peanut butter that was supplied by Sunland, Inc., and which may be contaminated with Salmonella: Aldens Organic Peanut Butter n Chip Ice Cream (1.5 qts; UPC 0 72609 74191 2; Code date range 10060 -12261) and Cascade Glacier Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (3 gal; UPC 0 72609 60082 0; Code date range 11101 – 12223).
- Outbreak Alert: The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services and local health departments in Gaston, Gleveland and Lincoln counties are investigating an outbreak of E. coli illnesses among attendees at the Cleveland County Fair. Eight children and 5 adults have developed symptoms; two were confirmed to be infected with E. coli O157:H7 so far.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC issues its final update on the outbreak of Salmonella Braenderup infections associated with Agricola Daniella brand mangoes imported from Mexico. A total of 127 people in 15 states were infected with the outbreak strain; 33 were hospitalized. There were no deaths. An additional 16 people in 3 states were infected with Salmonella Worthington, including one person who was infected with both types of Salmonella.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Clark County Public Health has confirmed 13 cases of Salmonella and an additional 33 probable cases among patrons of On the Border restaurant in Vancouver, WA. Anyone who ate at the restaurant between Sept. 20 and Oct 8 and is experiencing symptoms of Salmonella should contact a health care professional.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning the public not to consume certain products containing peanut butter that were sold under the Harry & David®, Wolferman’s®, Fairytale, and Justin’s brands, because the peanut butter used to manufacture these products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The products were sold nationally in the USA and were available for purchase over the Internet. Please consult the recall notice for details.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public not to consume Fresh Express brand Hearts of Romaine Salad (Product of USA; 510g/18 oz pkgs; UPC 0 71279 26201 7; Production code S270A24; Best before OCT 11) because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario, and may also have been distributed to other provinces and territories.
- Food Safety Recall: Kellogg Canada Inc. recalls Kellogg’s Mini-Wheats Brown Sugar Flavour Cereal (400g, 510g, 850g, 1.3kg sizes; Best before 2013 AL 01 – 2013 JL 29) and Kellogg’s Mini-Wheats Original Frosted Cereal (400g, 510g, 850g, 1.3kg, 1.6kg sizes; Best before 2013 AL 01 – 2013 JL 29), because the products may be contaminated with fragments of flexible metal mesh. The recalled products were sold across Canada.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Kuopiolainen Siam Flower recalls Thai Dancer brand Pickled Garlic (737-g pack size; batch 11961; Best before 05/12/2014; Product of Thailand), because the product contains more than the maximum allowed concentration of sulphite.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Mikes Meats Pty Ltd. recalls Mikes Meats Prager Leg Ham (600-900g cryovac pack; Dates 14 NOV 2012 and 14/11/12), due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled product was sold from Mikes Meats retail stores and some other butchers in the ACT.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.