Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Creative Energy Foods, Inc. recalls Crunch® thinkThin brand nutrition bars, including Mixed Nuts (40g; Best by 101812, 110912, 120112, 022813, 040413, 041913, 050913, 051513, 052313, 060113, 060813, 061313. 062713, 070913 AND expired lots prior to Best By 101012), White Chocolate Dipped Mixed Nuts (40g; Best by 030113 ,032513, 042013, 052213, 060113, 061513, 062213 AND expired lots prior to Best By 101012), Chocolate Dipped Mixed Nuts (40g; Best by 101812, 102612, 110812, 110912, 120312, 030713, 030813, 031613, 032513, 041213, 041313, 042113, 042513, 042813, 051213, 052313, 052413, 060713, 061413, 062613, 062813, 071813 AND expired lots prior to Best By 101012), Caramel Chocolate Dipped Mixed Nuts (40g; Best by 112812, 030813, 040513, 042113, 051013, 060113, 061513, 071313 AND expired lots prior to Best By 101012), Cherry & Mixed Nuts (40g; Best by 022313, 032513, 041913, 042513, 061113 AND expired lots prior to Best By 101012), Blueberry & Mixed Nuts (40g; Best by 111812, 022313, 022413, 032813, 040413, 042113, 051813, 051913, 060813, 062713, 062813, 071913 AND expired lots prior to Best By 101012) and Cranberry Apple & Mixed Nuts (40g; Best by 030813, 041113, 052913, 062213 AND expired lots prior to Best By 101012), because the products may contain roasted peanuts supplied by Sunland and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed at retail chain stores nation wide from March 2010 to October 12, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Creative Energy Foods, Inc. recalls RidgeBar Peanut Butter Crunch Nutrition Bars (50g; UPC 855468003052; Best by 022413 & 042813), because the product contains blanched peanuts supplied by Sunland, Inc. and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were sold only on the internet at http://www.Ridgebar.com.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Nature’s Recipe recalls Nature’s Recipe Oven Baked Biscuits with Real Chicken (19 oz; UPC 30521 51549; Lot codes 2199TP & 2200TP; Best by 10 11 13 & 10 12 13, respectively), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed nationally, primarily through pet specialty retailers. Nature’s Recipe® is a brand of Del Monte Foods.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Food Safety News reports that the outbreak of Salmonella infections linked to On The Border Restaurant in Vancouver, WA has grown to 21 confirmed and 55 suspect cases as of October 12th. The outbreak strain has been identified as a strain of Salmonella Virchow.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning the public not to consume several Xan Confections brand Peanut Butter Chocolate products, because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled items were imported from the USA and distributed across Canada through retail stores and Internet sales. Please consult the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products.
- Food Safety Recall: Herboristerie La Clef Des Champs Inc. (Val-David, QC) recalls Organic Ground Ginger (35g & 500g; Code #BFO11441B06 and BFO11441B07, respectively), because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Ground Ginger was distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Western Quality Meats recalls various beef products due to potential contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled products were distributed to Hotel/Restaurant/Institutional customers in Alberta, Northwest Territories and Saskatchewan. Please refer to the recall notice for details.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1431): Listeria monocytogenes in sausage from Sweden; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1432): Nematode infestation of chilled mackerel from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1433): Foreign body (glass) in chilled chicken salad from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, France and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1434): Incorrect Best Before Date on ready to eat meat product from France; distributed to France and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1437): High Escherichia coli level in chilled clams from Italy; distributed to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Poland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (India): Parle Biscuits Pvt Ltd. recalls Mango Bite candy (entire stock) after the FDA finds that the product was manufactured using buffered lactic acid, which is considered to be an adulterant. FDA has seized Sugar Boiled Confectionery (Parle Kachha Mango Bite) and 8158 kgs of Buffered Lactic Acid. The recall and enforcement actions were reported by the Times of India.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.