Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Tyson Foods, Inc. (Pine Bluff, AR) recalls 67,269 pounds of packages labeled as Honey BBQ Flavored Boneless Chicken Wyngz, due to the presence of undeclared milk, soy and egg. Due to a packaging error, Buffalo style Boness Chicken Wyngz were packaged in bags meant for the Honey BBQ Flavored product. The recalled products were manufactured on Aug 7 and 8, 2012 and distributed to retail stores nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Bliss Unlimited, LLC (Eugene, OR) recalls Luna & Larry’s Coconut Bliss Chocolate Peanut Butter Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert (1 pt; UPC 8 96767 00121 9; Stamp #41-61; Date range Nov 11 2012 through Oct 24 2013), because the product contains peanut butter that may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed nationwide between November 2010 and December 2011.
- Food Safety Recall: Falcon Trading Company, Inc./SunRidge Farms (Royal Oak, CA) recalls Sunridge Chocolate Brownie Squares (10 lb case; UPC 086700211168; All lot codes), Sunridge Chocolate Double Decker Chew (10 lb case; UPC 086700211175; All lot codes), Sunridge (labeled Sunland) Peanut Butter Crunchy with Salt – Organic (35 lb tub; UPC 086700161852; All lot codes) and Sunridge (labeled Sunland) Peanut Butter Creamy No Salt – Organic (35 lb tub; UPC 086700161869; All lot codes), because the products contain peanut butter supplied by Sunland, Inc., and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall: Belfonte Ice Cream and Dairy Foods Company recalls Belfonte Home Run Sundae (56 oz rectangular carton; UPC 83057-91023; Best by dates 04/08/2011, 05/07/2011, 06/03/2011, 06/08/2012, 03/13/2014, 04/26/2014, 06/21/2014, 07/27/2014) and Belfonte Mama’s Choice Reverse Peanut Butter Pie (56 oz rounded square container; UPC 83057-17033; Best by dates 07/15/2011, 10/02/2011, 12/02/2011, 02/09/2012, 04/06/2012, 06/02/2012), because the products contain peanut butter supplied by Sunland, Inc., and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were sold between April 2010 and October 2012 in retail and convenience stores in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.
- Food Safety Recall: Clemmy’s Ice Cream (Rancho Mirage, CA) recalls Clemmy’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip ice cream (1 pt container; UPC 8 94509 00231 9; Code date range 11038 – 12215; Best before 02/13 through 08/14), because the ice cream contains peanut butter supplied by Sunland, Inc., and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold nationwide through grocery stores beginning in March 2011.
- Food Safety Recall: Smith Dairy Products Company recalls SMITH’s Peanut Butter Crunch Ice Cream (1.75 qt and ½-gal; UPC 70424 08139; Lots 060-10 through 155-12), Acme Peanut Butter Twist Ice Cream (½-gal; UPC 29313 46110; Lots 03/01/10 through 06/03/12), Ruggles Peanut Butter Crunch Ice Cream (3 gal; UPC 70424 08607; Lots 060-10 through 155-12) and Ruggles Peanut Butter Brownie Crunch (3 gal; UPC 70424 08639; Lots 060-10 through 155-12), because the products contain peanut butter candy pieces recalled by Pecan Deluxe (the peanut butter in these candy pieces was supplied by Sunland, Inc.) and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed in Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia and Michigan.
- Food Safety Recall: Nina International (Hyattsville, MD) recalls Nina International Ground Hot Pepper (5 oz; UPC 745851004004), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC through African and ethnic retail food stores. The contamination was discovered as a result of a routine testing program.
- Food Safety Recall: Rich Products Corporation recalls Jon Donaire® Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Cake (UPC 049800626836; Best by October 5, 2010 – January 19, 2013) and TCBY® Peanut Buttery Fudge Deep Dish Frozen Yogurt Pie (Julian dates 14070048 – 14072156; Best by November 14, 2010 – March 1, 2013), because the products contain ingredients sourced from a supplier that used Sunland, Inc. peanuts, and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The Jon Donaire® product was sold through in-store bakeries nationwide; the TCBY® product was sold exclusively to TCBY® stores.
- Food Safety Recall: BGC Manufacturing recalls Goldenbrook Farms Peanut Butter Bash Ice Cream (½ gallon cartons; UPC 0009282530538) because the product contains peanut butter that may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold in Brookshire Grocery retail stores through Texas, Louisiana and Southern Arkansas between May 2010 and September 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Toft Dairy recalls Buckeye Bites Ice Cream (48 oz carton/ UPC 19473-00602 & 3-gal tub / Product code 874; Expiration dates March 14, 2013 or before), because the product contains a peanut butter base that was made using peanut butter from Sunland, Inc. and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed throughout Ohio and Southern Michigan.
- Outbreak Alert (Vancouver, WA): Clark County Public Health is investigating eleven confirmed and five probable cases of Salmonella reported by patrons of On the Border restaurant (1505 SE 164th Ave., Vancouver, WA). Anyone who ate at the restaurant between September 20th and October 8th and is experiencing symptoms of salmonellosis should contact a health care provider.
- Food Safety Recall: Greek Diamond International recalls Greek Diamond brand Greek Honey Wild Flower Honey (1 kg; Lot 08112; Best before 21/03/2014; UPC 6 27763 10033 6), due to the presence of drug residues. The recalled product was sold in Quebec.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada has confirmed a twelfth case of E. coli O157 linked to beef from XL Foods, Inc. Four provinces are affected: Alberta (7 cases), Newfoundland and Labrador (1 case), Quebec (3 cases) and British Columbia (1 case).
- Allergy Alert (UK): Wanis withdraws Big Bamboo Jamaican Irish Moss Vanilla Flavoured Drink (284 ml; Best before end of February 2014), because the product contains undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Colruyt recalls Poulet Andalouse from Colruyt’s self serve and traditional butcher shops, because testing carried out in Colruyt’s own laboratory has detected Listeria monocytogenes in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Myprotein recalls Myprotein® Free Range Liquid Egg Whites (1 kg; Batch code L232203; Best before 8 February 2013), because Salmonella has been detected in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1413): Ethephon in grapes from Egypt; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1414): Insect infestation in frozen dried strawberry powder from Poland; distributed to Denmark, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1415): Aflatoxins in dried figs from Tunisia; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1418): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1419): Methomyl in white egg plant from Laos, via Sweden; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1422): Salmonella spp. in raw spiced porcine meat burger from Belgium; distributed to Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1423): Histamine in salted mackerel fish in soya bean oil from Thailand; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1424): Salmonella typhimurium in dried meat treats from Ireland; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1425): Listeria monocytogenes in king prawns in garlic oil from Vietnam; distributed to Austria.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1426): Excessive vitamin B1 in biscuits from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1428): Salmonella typhimurium in frozen chicken breast fillets from Brazil; distributed to Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (India): BBC reports that authorities in Trivandrum, Kerala have shut down a KFC restaurant after a customer complained that he was served a meal contain live worms.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Nnylonit Pty Ltd, trading as Flannerys Natural & Organic Supermarket recalls Flannerys Own Almonds (500g and 1 kg zip-lock sealed pouch; Best before 25/09/2013) due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled almonds were sold in Flannerys Supermarkets in South East Queensland.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.