Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: King’s Delight (Gainesville, GA) recalls APPLEGATE® Naturals Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets (8-oz cartons; Est. P-2617; Lot #210864; Best before 08/28/13; UPC 25317-00556), due to undeclared wheat. The recalled products were supplied to retail stores in Indiana, Maryland, Oregon and Washington.
- Food Safety Recall: Fromagerie Bergeron Inc. recalls Fromagerie Bergeron Brins de Gouda Firm Unripened Cheese (100g, 180g, 230g, 260g, 300g, 500g & 2.5Kg sizes; Packaged 2013 JA 14; Best before 2013 JA 29; Lot 13-0065), Fromagerie Bergeron Le Populaire Unripened Firm Cheese (335g & 675g sizes; Prepared 2013JA14; Best before 2013AL14; Lot 13-65 or 13-66) and Fromagerie Bergeron Le Populaire Unripened Firm Cheese (2.2 (variable weight) Kg; Preparation date 13JA1465; 13AL14), due to the presence of metal fragments. The recalled products were supplied to retailers in Quebec, including Costco Canada.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada reports that an additional outbreak case of E. coli O157:H7 has been confirmed in New Brunswick, bringing the total number of cases to thirty, including 7 in New Brunswick, 10 in Nova Scotia and 13 in Ontario. The illnesses are most likely related to the consumption of shredded lettuce from California that was distributed to some KFC and KFC-Taco Bell restaurants by FreshPoint Inc. Thirteen of the 30 outbreak victims have been hospitalized, including one who developed hemolytic uremic syndrome.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (Denmark): Scandia Trading withdraws Fresh Mint Herbal Expo Menthe Plant Aromatique (Product of Morocco), due to pesticide levels above the legal limit.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Tamaco Foods A/S recalls Torrent Pitted Black Olives (470g net wt, 230g drained wt; Product of Spain; Best before 19-04-2015), after broken glass was reported in two jars.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): K.P. Efthymiou Ltd (Importer) recalls Wonder Spring Pramen Divu Natural Mineral Water (Product of Romania; 2-L pack; Lot #SID A 08:56; Best before 9/10/2013), due to excessive microbial load.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd. recalls Sainsbury’s Lemon Thyme (15g; All date codes up to and including 21 January 2013) after Salmonella is detected in a sample following routine testing carried out by Sainsbury’s.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0054): Excessive sulphite in frozen pink spiny lobster from Morocco, via Portugal and Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0055): Glass fragments in pitted black olives from Spain; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0056): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Poland, via Germany; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0057): Suspicion of histamine in tuna loins from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0058): Salmonella Derby in frozen raw animal feed for dog/cats from Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0060): Salmonella in dried organic Chlorella algae from China; notified by Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0061): Histamine in chilled tuna from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0062): Coliforms in carbonated mineral water from Romania; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0063): Metal blade in chilled mortadella from Italy; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0065): Nicotine in white mushrooms from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and France.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to purchase or consume Leisure 18 Slimming Coffee, as it was found to contain the undeclared and banned drug ingredients sibutramine and phenolphthalein.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert (Australia): Lactalis Jindi Pty Ltd. recalls all cheeses manufactured on or before 6 January 2013, due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination. Cheeses manufactured by Jindi are implicated in an outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes illnesses affecting 18 people in several states. Two deaths and one miscarriage are associated with the consumption of these cheeses.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.