Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Kinnikinnick Foods (Edmonton, AB, Canada) recalls Kinnikinnick Frozen Pie Crust (290g/10-oz; 2/pkg; UPC 62013300600 9; Lots BB2013NO30, BB2013NO19, BB2013DE04, BB2013DE12, BB2013NO23, BB2013DE05, BB2013DE13, BB2013NO27, BB2013DE06, BB2013DE14, BB2013NO28, BB2013DE11, BB2013DE17, BB2013NO29), due to undeclared eggs. The recalled product was distributed across the USA.
- Allergy Alert and Food Safety Recall: Humphrey’s Market, Inc. (Springfield, IL) recalls frozen ready-to-eat products and raw poultry products, repackaged on or before January 7, 2013, because they were produced without the benefit of inspection. In addition, the products may contain undeclared soy, wheat and milk. The affected ready-to-eat products include: Mesquite Chicken Breast (cryovac packages containing 4-oz portions), Italian Chicken Breast (cryovac packages containing 3.5-oz portions), Grilled Chicken Breast (cryovac packages containing 4-oz portions), Italian Tomato Basil Chicken Breast (cryovac packages containing 4-oz portions) and BBQ Glazed Chicken Breast (cryovac packages containing 3.1-oz portions). The raw products include: Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast (cryovac packages containing 5-oz portions) and Bacon-wrapped Turkey Breast Filet (cryovac packages containing 5-oz portions). The recalled products were supplied to a distributor for direct home delivery in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.
- Food Safety Recall: House’s Butchering LLC recalls sliced bacon and summer sausage (Est. 54; Some packages are labeled with a 5-digit code beginning with 12 (range 12001 through 12366); Sold from January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012), because the products were misbranded and packaged without a food safety plan.
- Food Safety Recall: The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC alerts customers to the recall by Ocean Beauty Seafoods LLC of Lascco Cold Smoked Atlantic Salmon (8 oz; UPC 7284001708; All Sell-by dates), due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Advance Pharmaceutical Inc. recalls Rugby NATURAL IRON SUPPLEMENT Ferrous Sulfate Tablets, 325mg (Lot 12G468; Exp. 07/14; UPC 0 0536-5890-01 3) because the bottles may actually contain Meclizine HCl, 25 mg tablets.
- Allergy Alert: Peak Performance Products Inc. recalls Dymatize Nutrition brand Elite Gourmet Fudge Brownie Bar (Product of USA; 42.5g pkg; UPC 7 05016 99313 0; Best before SEP 2013 12199A), due to undeclared peanuts. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): The Food Standards Agency announces the recall of all dates and batch codes of bacon ribs and cooked pig stomachs from Watson’s Whole Meats and Savouries Ltd., because the company produced these items in unapproved premises under unsatisfactory hygiene conditions. The affected products were marketed under the following brand names: Watson’s Wholesale Meat and Savouries Ltd., Stephen and Lynzi Kenny, and Super Savouries.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0049): Aflatoxins in egusi from Ghana; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0050 & 2013.0051): Nicotine in mushrooms from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2013.0052): Mercury in food supplement from Germany, with raw material from Belgium; distributed to Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Ka Loong Pharmaceutical (HK) Co. Limited recalls the unregistered proprietary Chinese medicine Tongren Niuhuang Qingxin Wan (Batch #2010003).
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to buy or consume the oral product ‘Chashoot‘ as it may contain the undeclared Western drugs prednisone, ibuprofen, piroxicam, theophylline, diazepam, trimethoprim, sulphamethoxazole and chlorpheniramine.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.