Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: BBU, Inc. (Parent of Bimbo Bakeries companies) recalls Thomas’ Bagels (1 lb 4 oz; various varieties; Best by JAN 18 to JAN 27, inclusive; Distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee), Sara Lee Deluxe Bagels (20 oz; various varieties; Best by JAN 18 to JAN 27, inclusive; Distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee), Publix Premium Bagels (20 oz; various varieties; Best by JAN 18 to JAN 27, inclusive; Distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee) and Weight Watchers 6 Original Bagels (15 oz; Best by JAN 18 to JAN 27, inclusive; Distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee), due to possible presence of metal fragments resulting from a faulty manufacturing part. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected varieties.
- Allergy Alert: Peak Performance Products Inc. (Toronto, ON) recalls Dymatize Nutrition brand Elite Gourmet Cookies & Cream Bar (42.5g & 85g; Lot Code BB SEP 2013 12200A and BB JAN 2014 12310A, respectively), Dymatize Nutrition brand Elite Gourmet Fudge Brownie Bar (42.5g; Lot code BB OCT 2013 12244A) and Dymatize Nutrition brand Elite Gourmet Fudge Brownie Bar (85g; Lot codes BB MAY 2013 12084A and BB SEP 2013 12199A), due to undeclared peanuts. The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Heidelberg Foods Ltd. (Est 644) recalls Noah Martin’s Black Forest Salami (variable kg; Sold up to and including January 11, 2013) and Noah Martin’s Black Forest Salami (1.5 (min.) kg; Best before 2013 MR 07, 2013 JN 27 and 2013 NO 13), due to undeclared mustard. The recalled products were supplied to retailers, hotels, restaurants and institutions in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Fromagerie Bergeron Inc. recalls Fromagerie Bergeron Brins de Gouda Firm Unripened Cheese (500g; Best before 2013 JA 29; Lot 13-0065 & 13-0066; UPC 062036020506) and Fromagerie Bergeron Le Populaire Firm Unripened Cheese (675g; Best before 2013 AV 14; Lot 13-65; UPC 62036007453) due to the potential presence of metal shards resulting from an equipment malfunction. The recalled products were supplied to Costco Canada warehouse stores.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada has confirmed a twenty-ninth case of E. coli O157:H7 associated with the consumption of shredded lettuce originating in California and distributed in Canada by FreshPoint Inc. The 29 illnesses occurred in New Brunswick (6), Nova Scotia (10) and Ontario (13) between December 22, 2012 and January 5, 2013. Fourteen people have been hospitalized.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Sainsbury’s recalls Sainsbury’s Honey Roasted Jumbo Cashews (200g; Best before 18 May 2013), due to undeclared peanuts.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Makro Belgique recalls Fine Food brand mushrooms (various varieties, lot codes and expiration dates) due to potential contamination with nicotine. Please refer to the recall notice for details.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Carrefour recalls various Carrefour brand mushrooms (various varieties, lot codes and packaging dates) due to potential contamination with nicotine. Please refer to the recall notice for details.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Univeg Belgium recalls White Mushrooms (500g; Code 02A-4127811; Sold at Aldi), Paris bruns/Paris Brown Mushrooms (350g; Package dates 5/1, 7/1 and 8/1) and Mixed Cultured Mushrooms (400g; Package dates 5/1, 7/1 and 8/1) due to possible nicotine contamination.
- Contact Lens Recall (UK): Johnson & Johnson Vision Care recalls 1-Day Acuvue® Moist® Brand Contact Lenses (Lot 2054890521 & 2054895620) and Acuvue® Advance® brand Contact Lenses with Hydraclear® (Lot B00DJPQ), due to the potential for a limited number of contact lens packages to not have completely sealed, which may result in the loss of or leaking of the packaging solution in some individual contact lens units and could compromise contact lens sterility.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0045): Mold infestation in cottage cheese from Germany; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0046): Excessive sulfadiazine in pork meat from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Republic of Korea, Netherlands and United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0047): Salmonella enteritidis in kebab meat from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0048): Aflatoxins in peanuts from China; distributed to Slovakia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.