Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: Udi’s Healthy Foods, LLC recalls Udi’s Gluten Free Au Naturel Granola (12-oz bags; UPC 6 98997-80615-8; Best by 041913 12265 1), due to undeclared almonds. The recalled granola product was distributed through retail stores in California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington beginning on or about September 24, 2012.
- Allergy Alert Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for Mortadella recalled by Fiorucci Foods, Inc. (South Chesterfield, VA) due to undeclared pistachio nuts.
- Food Safety Recall Update: The California Department of Public Health releases retail distribution list for smoked fish products recalled by True Taste Life LLC due to potential for growth of Clostridium botulinum. The recalled smoked fish were sold in La Brea Kosher Market, Pico Glatt Kosher Market, and Western Kosher Market in Los Angeles, and in Albertsons supermarket stores throughout Southern California.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Mylan Inc. recalls Hydrocodone Bitartrate and Acetaminophen Tablets, USP 10 mg/500 mg (Lots #3037841, 3040859, 3042573), due to the possibility that a small number of tablets from the affected lots may exceed the weight requirement and could exceed the label claim potency requirements for the ingredients hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen.
- Allergy Alert: Ka Wing Hong Ltd. recalls M brand Rice (454g; no date codes; UPC 6 98921 01212 9), due to undeclared wheat. The recalled rice was sold through retailers in British Columbia and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Iceland recalls Iceland Chicken Biryani (500g; Best before 03.10.2013), due to the presence of undeclared wheat, gluten, milk, mustard and prawns. Some of the packages were incorrectly filled with prawn curry.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Iceland recalls Iceland Chicken Biryani (500g; Best before 3 October 2013), because a packaging error has resulted in some of this product being incorrectly filled with Prawn Curry, made with wheat (gluten), milk, mustard and shellfish (prawns) that are not mentioned on the label.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Fidi Pus GmbH recalls Umami oysters (Bonton Products BV, Netherlands; Lots 12-11 and 3-12 from Tristell, Lot 29-11 from Woodstown), due to possible norovirus contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Thalheimer Bauernwurst Deuerlein Vertriebs GmbH recalls Liverwurst (300g screw-cap glass jars; Best before 20.01.2015), because the product may contain metallic particles. The recalled product was sold nationwide through retail grocery stores.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Liroy B.V. (Netherlands importer) recalls Koon Yick Way Kee – Rose Bean Curd Tofu (454g; Best before 30.12.14; Lot #023424; Product of China, via the Netherlands) and Koon Yick Wah Kee – Chilli Bean Curd Tofu (454g; Best before 30.12.14; Lot #023421; Product of China, via the Netherlands), due to contamination with Bacillus cereus and several varieties of yeast.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Alert (New Zealand): The New Zealand Herald reports that Auckland and Northland health authorities are warning the public not to collect or consume shellfish collected from Mohakatino (in Taranaki) north to Maunganui Bluff (north of Dargaville), including the Manukau and Kaipara Harbours, due to the risk of paralytic shellfish toxin. Shellfish from the Waitemata Harbour and North Shore beaches were safe at this stage.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.