Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases updated retail distribution list for Beef and Cheese Pastellios manufactured by Cantina Foods. The products were recalled by the company because they were produced without the benefit of federal inspection.
- Food Safety Alert: The California Department of Public Health advises the public not to collect and eat wild mushrooms. Four people died of wild mushroom poisoning in California in November 2012. From January 2011 through November 2012, the California Poison Control System reports that there were 1,602 cases of mushroom poisoning statewide.
- Food Safety Recall: Loblaw Companies Ltd. (Brampton, OH) recalls Ennis variety In-Shell Filberts/Hazelnuts (Product of USA; Sold from bulk bins up to and including December 4, 2012), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold in Ontario (Cash & Carry, Real Canadian Wholesale Club, Fortinos, No Frills), Quebec (Loblaws, Maxi & Cie, Maxi, Provigo), and Newfoundland and Labrador (Dominion).
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Gramellini SPA recalls Frozen Prawns (Product of Iran; Lot 0010033461 -0010033746; Expiration date 31-10-2013), due to the presence of sulfur dioxide in excess of permitted levels.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1678): Dioxins in chilled cod liver from Denmark; distributed to Denmark, Estonia and Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1679): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of frozen mackerel from Spain; distributed to Italy and Romania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1680): Pirimicarb and pymetrozine in lettuce from the Netherlands; distributed to the Netherlands and Sweden.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1681): Undeclared peanut in chocolate from Germany; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1682): Metal pieces in yoghurt from Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1683): Excessive Escherichia coli in mozzarella from Italy; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1684): Methiocarb in basilicum from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and France.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.