Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Outbreak Alert: CDC reports 28 persons infected with the outbreak of strain of Shiga toxin-producing E. coli o157:H7 from five states, including New York (22), Connecticut (2), Massachusetts (2), Pennsylvania (1) and Virginia (1). Most of those ill in New York state had consumed Wegmans brand Organic Spinach and Spring Mix blend, produced by State Garden (Chelsea, MA). Lab tests conducted on four leftover packages of this product from four outbreak victims’ homes, yielded the outbreak strain. Outbreak victims from states other than New York reported having eaten other brands of pre-packaged leafy greens.
- Outbreak Alert: The Oregonian reports that a petting zoo and pumpkin patch in Longview, WA has been linked to an outbreak of at least 10 cases of E. coli illnesses. The Willow Grove Gardens Pumpkin Patch has shut down and is not planning to reopen.
- Food Recall: Bi-Lo and Food City advise their customers that Bailey’s Hazelnut Creamer (16 oz; UPC 0-44100-10753; Item code 581465; Expiry February 26, 2013) has been recalled due to a quality issue.
- Allergy Alert: Pak National Foods Ltd. recalls National Apple Spread (440g; Batch 20 19 2011 (Best before Dec 2012) and Batch 12 18 2011 (Best before 11 12 13); UPC 6 20514 00192 0), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency advises the public not to consume, sell or serve Sunland Inc. Organic Dark Chocolate Creamy Peanut Butter (375g; UPC 0 48687 89829 9; Lot code 100326), because the product has been recalled by the manufacturer due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed in Quebec, and may have been sold across Canada.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): Albert Heijn recalls Euro Shopper brand Dark Chocolate Sprinkles (500g; Lot codes L12275 and L12276), due to the presence of undeclared milk powder.
- Food Safety Recall (Netherlands): Disschof (Diksmuide, Belgium) recalls the following cheeses, sold in the Netherlands, due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes: Keiems Bloempje with and without herbs, Keiem Lean To Nature, KeimerBloemetje with Herbs, Keiemnaer, Keiemse White, KeiemseBloemGroot, and Keiem Skinny with herbs.
- Outbreak Alert (Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom): The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) reports an increase in cryptosporidiosis notifications in the UK (England and Wales), Netherlands and Germany in late summer-autumn 2012. No other countries have reported an unusual increase, and there is no evidence pointing to a single, common source. Lab and epidemiological investigations are in progress to explore the source of this increased incidence of infections.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Organic Echo Limited recalls Organic Echo brand Les Viva Infant Milk Powder, for 0 – 12 months (800g; Batch CPF0212064; Best before September 6, 2013; Packaged in Malaysia), because the potassium and protein content exceed the standards of the Codex Alimentarius Commission (Codex).
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.