Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Food Safety Recall: BT McElrath Chocolatier, Inc. recalls Peanut Butter Pave (2 & 5 pieces; UPC 693868102117 and 69386905312; Lot #12031, 12046, 12159, & 12201; Best by 4-30-12, 6-15-12, 10-7-12, and 11-26-12), because the product contains peanut butter from Sunland Inc., and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was manufactured between January 30, 2012 and June 6, 2012 and distributed nationwide through retail stores, mail order, and direct sales.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The North Carolina Division of Public Health reports having confirmed 106 cases of E. coli O157 among attendees at the Cleveland County Fair. This total – comprising 65 children and 41 adults – includes one fatality (a child from Gaston County, NC) and 13 hospitalizations. Five of the outbreak victims are from South Carolina (2 from York County and 3 from Cherokee County.
- Allergy Alert: Aliments Altra Foods Inc. (Anjou, QC) recalls Crown brand Bitter Chocolate Coated Cranberries (160g; UPC 8 43167 07285 1; Best before 07/07/13), Bitter Chocolate Coated Hazelnuts (160g; UPC 8 43167 07287 5; Best before 07/07/13) and Bitter Chocolate Coated Almonds (160g; UPC 8 43167 07288 2; Best before 07/07/13), because the products may contain undeclared milk. The recalled products were imported from Israel and distributed in Quebec and Ontario. Some distribution may also have occurred in other provinces.
- Food Safety Recall: Krinos Foods Canada Ltd. (Vaughan, ON) recalls Krinos brand Mini Kashkaval Cheese from Sheeps Milk (470g – 500g pkgs; Product of Bulgaria; Best before 2013 SE 15), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was distributed only in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Marché Badre inc. (Montreal, QC) recalls Salaison Anchois, Produit d’Algérie (60g unrefrigerated pkgs; sold up to and including October 3, 2012), because the concentration of histamine in the product exceeds acceptable levels as a result of improper storage at the establishment.
- Allergy Alert (Finland & Estonia): Fazer Confectionery Ltd. recalls Fazer Milk Chocolate (Produced 09.05.2012; Best before 05/07/2013), because the product may contain some Geisha chocolates due to a packaging error and, thus, contain undeclared hazelnut and wheat flour.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd. withdraws Toffee Apples by Sainsbury’s (all date codes up to November 2, 2012), because the product contains undeclared milk.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1501): Unauthorized synephrine in diet supplement from Sweden; distributed to Finland, Portugal and Sweden.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1502): Mercury in complementary feed for cats from Thailand; distributed to Austria, Denmark, Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1503): Diarrhoeic Shellfish Poisoning toxins in mussels from Ireland, packaged in the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1504): Listeria monocytogenes in frozen ricotta cheese from Italy; distributed to Germany and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1505): Flies in frozen octopus from Portugal; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1507): Soy in wheat flour from the United States; distributed to Sweden.
Australia and New Zealand
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Australia): Export Corporation (Australia) Pty Ltd., trading as Nutrition Systems, recalls Muscletech Hydroxystim Capsules (3-capsule sample pack, with Batch #0102J1, 18-capsule pack with Batch #0209K1, 110-capsule pack with Batch #0210K1, 200-capsule pack with Batch #0211K1), because the product contains the banned chemical 1.3-dimethylamylamine (DMAA).
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.