Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Schoep’s Ice Cream Company (Madison, WI) recalls Kays Classic Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (48 oz round; UPC 0-87848-13021; Best if used by 02/28/14), because of a packaging error that has resulted in some packages containing Kays Butter Pecan Ice Cream instead. As a result of this error, some packages contain undeclared pecans. The recalled ice cream was shipped to Food City and Super Dollar stores in Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Premium Nutritional Products, Inc. recalls ZuPreem FruitBlend with Natural Fruit Flavors Premium Daily Bird Food for medium/large birds (2 lb, 3.5 lb, 12 lb, 17.5 lb, and 35 lb; Lot code 598405052; Use by 11/30/13 or Best by 11/13) and ZuPreem FruitBlend with Natural Fruit Flavors Premium Daily Bird Food for large birds (2 lb, 3.5 lb, 12 lb, 17.5 lb, and 35 lb; Lot code 598405072; Use by 11/30/13 or Best by 11/13), because the product contains the combination of exceedingly high calcium levels, low phosphorus, and high vitamin D concentration resulting in a significant health risk to the birds. The products were shipped by the company between the dates of 5/21/12 and 8/23/12 for distribution nationwide through pet retailers, veterinary clinics, on line pet supply merchants and to breeders, and zoological parks.
- Allergy Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency advises the public that Crown brand Bitter Chocolate Coated Raisins (160g pkgs; Product of Israel; UPC 8 43167 07286 8; Use by 07/07/13) may contain undeclared milk and has been recalled. The product was distributed in Ontario and Quebec and may also have been sold in other provinces.
- Food Safety Recall: Ian and Aganetha Driedger recall Pork Kidney, Pork Liver, and Whole Pork Carcass, due to contamination with drug residues. The recalled pork products were sold to consumers in Alberta.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Solhjulet A/S recalls Dried Organic Peppermint (Product of Egypt; 120g plastic tubs; Best before 01.09.2013; Lot 2352) and Dried Organic Peppermint (Product of Egypt; 120g and 150g cans; Best before 01.09.2013; Lot #10352, 10373, 10484, 1216, 1463, 1586 and 2173), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Korpela Milling Ltd. recalls Flour (250g bags; Batch #2812; Best before 12/07/2013) due to contamination with rye bran.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (Australia): Thirty-seven individuals in six states have been infected with Salmonella Typhimurium after consuming contaminated raw almonds. Five people were hospitalized. The most recent reported onset date was October 6, 2012.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.