Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Raymond-Hadley Corp. (Spencer, NY) recalls Wegmans Gluten Free Double Chocolate Brownie Mixes (17.2 oz; UPC 077890283363; Enjoy By 30 Oct 2013 – 19 Dec 2013), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Allergy Alert Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for Chicken Wyngz products recalled by Tyson Foods due to the presence of undeclared allergens.
- Food Safety Recall: Meadow Gold Dairy recalls Western Family Creamery Select Premium Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream (1.5 qt/1.42L; UPC 15400 21432; Best by dates 9/9/2011 to 10/3/2013), because the product contains a peanut butter ingredient supplied by Sunland and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall: Super Store Industries (Turlock, CA) recalls Lovin’ Scoopful Super Duper Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream (1.75 qt; UPC 898987001086; All code dates), because the product contains a peanut butter ingredient supplied by Sunland and may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed at Albertsons retail stores in OR, UT, WA, ID, MT and Walmart stores in WA only.
- Food Safety Recall: Hines Nut Company recalls Hines brand Salted Jumbo Virginia In-Shell Peanuts (8oz, 10oz, 12oz, 16oz and 24oz pkgs and 5.5-oz theme bags; Lot #S03718, S03699, S03724, S03753, S03765, S03784, S03798, S03806, S03810, S03824, S03826, S03840, S03863, S03886, S03907, S03928, S03933, S03938, S03950, S03958, S03967, S03972, S03978, S03989, S03991, S04012, S04025, S04042, S04054, S04066, S04097, S04109, S04123, S04134, S04141, S04141, S04165, S04200, S04201, S04211, S04229, S04236, and S04247) and Dollar General Clover Valley brand Salted Jumbo Virginia In-Shell Peanuts (8 oz bags; Lot #S03718, S03699, S03724, S03753, S03765, S03784, S03798, S03806, S03810, S03824, S03826, S03840, S03863, S03886, S03907, S03928, S03933, S03938, S03950, S03958, S03967, S03972, S03978, S03989, S03991, S04012, S04025, S04042, S04054, S04066, S04097, S04109, S04123, S04134, S04141, S04141, S04165, S04200, S04201, S04211, S04229, S04236, and S04247), because the peanuts were processed by Sunland and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall: Lao Chareune Foods (Dallas, TX) recalls Pork Snack Stick (3-oz & 8-oz pkgs), Seasoned Fried Beef (3.2o-oz pkgs), Fried Pork Skins (1.76-oz pkgs) and Sliced Fried Pork Ears (1.20-oz pkgs), because the products were manufactured without the benefit of federal inspection and were misbranded. The recalled products were produced from May 22, 2012 to the present, were labeled with EST. 13479 and distributed to retail establishments in Louisiana and Texas.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that 35 persons in 19 states have been infected by the outbreak strain of Salmonella Bredeney that is linked to peanut butter from Sunland, Inc. Eight people have been hospitalized.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Marler Blog reports that an outbreak of E. coli infections among attendees at the Cleveland County Fair in North Carolina has grown to 38 cases. A two-year-old boy has died. Twenty-two of the outbreak victims are children. Neighboring South Carolina has issued a Health Advisory through its Health Alert Network asking clinicians to maintain heightened surveillance for cases of E. coli O157.
- Food Safety Recall: Boucherie et charcuterie Amsellem (Montreal (Côte-Saint-Luc), QC) recalls Charcuterie Laost, Charcuterie Milano, Saucisson fumé and Suprême de veau (Sold up to and including October 3, 2012), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall: Avmor Ltd. recalls Avmor Antimicrobial Foaming Hand Soap, Triclosan 0.3% (1L clear plastic cartridge (used with a foaming pump); DIN 02319144; Lot #F121392032), because the soap is contaminated with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Brasserie de Saint Omer (France) extends its earlier recall to include Biére d’Or (20 x 25cl; sold in Tesco; All best before dates up to and including 30 November 2013), and Brasserie French Lager and Brasserie Shandy (10 x 25cl; both sold in Aldi; All best before dates up to and including 30 November 2013), because the products may contain small pieces of glass.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): La Société Roland Monterrat recalls Auchan “Les tranchettes” Pate en Croute Cocktail Tranche (430g; Best before 18/11/2012) due to an incorrect expiration date. The correct date should be 18/10/2012.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement (Abu Dhabi): The Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority has order the closure of City House Catering Service (Habshan, Madinat Zayet, Western Region), because the outlet did not renew its operating license in spite of an earlier violation notice (5/8/2012). The catering outlet will remain closed until its license has been renewed.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.