Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Food Safety Recall: Del Monte Fresh Produce N.A. Inc. recalls certain fresh-cut fruit packages containing mangoes from Agricola Daniella, because the mangoes may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products include Mango Slices, Tropical Fruit Medley, Tropical Fruit Bowl, Seasonal Blend, Mango Chunks, Tropical Blend, Pineapple/Mango/Grape, Strawberry/Kiwi/Mango, Apple Blend and Fruit Bowl. The products were sold under the Del Monte and 7 Eleven Fresh To Go brands, and also under Generic labels (sold at Walmart stores). Please refer to the recall notice for complete details of products and distribution.
- Food Safety Recall: Newman’s Own Organics recalls Peanut Butter Newman-O’s Sandwich Crème Cookies (8 oz/ 6 pack; Expiration 27MAY13) and Peanut Butter Newman-O’s Sandwich Crème Cookies (13 oz/6 pack; Expiration 3MAY13), because the cookies were made using peanut butter that may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed nationwide.
- Food Recall: Food City alerts its customers to the recall of Valu Time Orange Juice Recon. No reason is given for the action.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency alerts the public to a further expansion of the XL Foods (Est 38) beef recall, due to potential contamination with E. coli O157:H7. Four E. coli O157 illnesses have been associated with the consumption of beef products originating from this XL Foods facility.
- Allergy Alert (France): Société Valpiform recalls Valpiform Pain Soleil (400g; Expiry 24/12/2012 & 24/11/2012), Pain de Mie (350g; Expiry 21/11/2012), and Pain de Mie aux Fibres (350g; Expiry 22/11/2012, 23/11/2012, 24/11/2012 & 21/12/2012), because the products, which are labeled “sans arachide,” contain traces of peanut.
- Allergy Alert (France): Société Valpiform recalls Allergo Pain aux Grains (400g; Expiry 25/10/2012, 22/11/2012, 23/11/2012, & 24/11/2012), Pain de Mie (350g; Expiry 21/11/2012, 22/11/2012, 23/11/2012, 13/12/2012, & 14/12/2012), and Pain de Mie aux Fibres (350g; Expiry 24/10/2012, 23/11/2012, 24/11/2012, 14/12/2012), because the products, which are labeled “sans arachide,” contain traces of peanut.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Det Eksotiske Catering recalls Wheat Kernel Salad (325g; All best before dates from 28.09.2012 through 08.10.2012), Exotic Pasta Salad with Chicken (275g; All best before dates from 28.09.2012 through 08.10.2012), Humus (175g and 1 kg; all best before dates from 22.10.2012 through 31.10.2012) and Cacik, Tzatziki (175g and 1 kg; all best before dates from 22.10.2012 through 31.10.2012), because Listeria was found in samples of these products.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): The manufacturer recalls Holle brand Bio Babybrei 3 Kom ab dem 6ten Monat (Product of Switzerland; 250g; Lot R11171; Expiry 25/04/2013), because the product contain Ochratoxin A in excess of permitted limits.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Euro Quality Lambs Ltd. recalls Euro Quality Lambs’ lamb brain (all date and batch codes), because the products entered the food chain without proper inspection.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Germany): The outbreak of acute gastroenteritis has now affected 8,962 persons and caused 23 to be hospitalized. The outbreak involves 369 schools and child care centers in five regions: Brandenburg (2,896 illnesses), Berlin (2,223 illnesses), Sachsen (2,880 illnesses), Sachsen-Anhalt (50 illnesses), and Thüringen (913 illnesses). The source and root cause of the outbreak is still under investigation.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): Nine staff members at Tauranga Hospital have become infected with norovirus in an outbreak that also has affected 22 hospital patients.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.