Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Grand BK (Maspeth, NY) recalls goodies by nature brand Black Mix Crisp and Crisp Mix (7-oz plastic containers; All products sold prior to July 27, 2012), due to the presence of undeclared peanut.
- Food Safety Recall: Harry and David, LLC recalls Harry & David® Crunchy Almond and Peanut Butter, Harry & David® Creamy Banana Peanut Spread, and Harry & David® Creamy Raspberry Peanut Spread (Best By dates of 01MAY13 through 24SEPT13), because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The following multi-component food items also are affected: Harry & David® Apple Snack Box, Wolferman’s® Bee Sweet Gift Basket, Wolferman’s® Hearty Snack Gift Basket, Wolferman’s® All-Day Assortment Gift Basket, and Wolferman’s® Father’s Day Basket (Lot codes 1212M through 2372M, 1212H through 2372H, or 1212C through 2372C).
- Food Safety Recall: Justin’s recalls Justin’s brand Classic Peanut Butter Jars (16 oz; UPC 855188003004; Best by 08-07-13), Honey Peanut Butter Squeeze Packs (1.15 oz; UPC 855188003042; Best by 07-24-13, 07-25-13) and Honey Peanut Butter 0.5 oz Squeeze Pack (0.5 oz; UPC 894455000391; Best by 07-14-13, 08-10-13, 08-13-13, 08-14-13, 08-15-13), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall: Dale and Thomas Popcorn recalls the following flavors of Indiana-brand popcorn products due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes: Aged White Cheddar, Almond Biscotti, American Cheese, Apple Crisp, Bacon Ranch, Black & White Drizzle, Caramel, Caramel Roasted Peanuts, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Sugar Drizzle, Dark Fudge Chocolate Chip Drizzle, Kettlecorn, Salt & Pepper, and Wasabi Reserve. Please refer to the recall notice for complete information on package sizes and “Best By” dates. The recalled products were distributed to various retailers (including Walmart), vendors, distribution centers and consumers through the Internet on or after August 8, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Oregon Ice Cream Company recalls Alden’s Organic Peanut Butter ‘n Chip Ice Cream (48 oz; UPC 0 72609 74191 2; Code dates 12195-12261) and Cascade Glacier Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (3 gal; UPC 0 72609 60082 0; Code date 12223), because they contain peanut butter that may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall: Jer’s™ Chocolates recalls Peanut Butter Bars (3.0 oz; Original, Pretzo, Toffee and Caramella varieties), Jer’s Squares (16-oz Gable Box – Original/Pretzo) and Jer’s Squares Gable Box (4.0 oz; Original, Pretzo, Toffee and Caramella varieties), because the products contain peanut butter that may be contaminated with Salmonella. Please refer to the recall notice for complete details.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: DOG for DOG, LLC recalls DOGSBUTTER brand DOG for DOG All Natural Jarred Peanut Butter Treat for Dogs (Manufacturing dates of May 1 through September 24, 2012), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Fromagerie des Grondines (Deschambault-Grondines, QC) recalls Fromage Grand 2 (variable weight; Package dates before 21 September 2012), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. One product-related illness has been reported.
- Food Safety Recall: Champ’s Mushrooms (Aldergrove, BC) recalls Champ’s Mushrooms brand Sliced Crimini Mushrooms (200g / UPC 6 78286 99933 4 / Code 260 S4189; 227g / UPC 6 78286 88877 5 / Codes PO 15SEP2012 or PO 16SEP2012; and 454g / UPC 6 78286 88881 2 / Codes PO 15SEP2012), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled mushrooms were distributed in Alberta and British Columbia and may also have been distributed in other provinces.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has expanded its earlier Health Hazard Alert to include additional products and retail distribution information for Energy Nuggets (Imported from USA). These products may be contaminated with Salmonella. Please refer to the recall notice for full details.
- Food Safety Recall: Costco advises its customers that XL Foods Inc. has expanded its recall to include additional beef and beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. Some of this recalled beef may have been produced and sold in Costco Wholesale warehouses between August 28 and September 27, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: JD Sweid Foods Ltd. recalls various Ground Beef Patties supplied to the hotel/restaurant/institutional market, because the beef may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled products were distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Outbreak Alert (Germany): The Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety, the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment and the Robert Koch Institute are investigating an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis that appears to be food-related. As of 28 September 2012, at least 4,658 cases have been reported in Brandenburg (1,194), Berlin (600 or more), Saxony (2,100) and Thuringia (764). Most of the outbreak victims are children and teenagers. Earliest onset of illness was the evening of September 25th, with additional cases occurring on September 27th and 28th. Most cases have been of short duration and self-limiting. Authorities believe that the outbreak is related mainly to canteens at child and adolescent care facilities. All of the suspect facilities were supplied with meals by the same food service company. Lab studies of patients and food samples are in progress.
- Allergy Alert: Flying Trade withdraws Big Bamboo Jamaican Irish Moss Vanilla Flavoured Drink (284 ml; Best Before end date 24 February 2014) because the product contains milk that is not mentioned on the label.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Lackmann Fleisch- und Feinkost GmbH recalls Tuschonka Vostochnaya Turkey in its own juice (400g cans; Expiry 17/02/2013; SKU #167) and Tuschonka is Konini Horse Meat in its own juice (400g cans; Expiry 17/02/2013; SKU #155), due to a lack of heat treatment.
- Food Safety Recall (Netherlands): Foppen recalls Smoked Salmon (Oval logo on the packaging containing the codes EL-41A82EC or EN-6115EG; All lots), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled smoked salmon was sold by stores in the Albert Heijn, Aldi and Superunie supermarket chains.
- Food Safety Recall: P&B (Foods) Limited recalls Heera Dry Dates (various package sizes, batch codes and Best before dates), due to insect infestation. Please refer to the recall notice for additional details.
- Topical Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoire ARROW Génériques recalls Amorolfine Arrow 5% medicated nail polish (Lot K004; Expiry 03/2014), due to an error in the expiration date, which should be shown as 2013 instead of 2014.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Oral Medication Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to buy or consume the oral product called Long Ren Tang Fu She Gu Rang Jiao Nang, as it contains multiple undeclared and unauthorized Western drugs, including including diclofenac, piroxicam, indomethacin, naproxen, ibuprofen, dipyridamole, hydrochlorothiazide, metoclopramide and cimetidine.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.