Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Cutting Edge Concessions recalls Shake’Ems Seasoning Cups (0.5 oz plastic cup; White Cheddar, Nacho Cheddar, Ranch, Cinnamon Sugar and Parmesan Garlic flavors), due to the presence of undeclared milk and Red 40 coloring. The recalled product was distributed in movie theaters in California, Colorado, Arkansas and Tennessee.
- Food Safety Recall: American Licorice recalls Mayfair Licorice Snaps (16 oz; UPC 2363700779; All code dates), due to the potential for elevated levels of lead. The recalled product was sold in Tops supermarkets.
- Food Safety Recall: American Licorice and Ferris Coffee & Nut Co. recall Red Vines Licorice Snaps® (14-oz deli cups) due to the potential for elevated levels of lead. The recalled product was distributed to Spartan Stores.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc. recalls Nimodipine Capsules, 30 mg, marketed by Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, Ltd, (Unit does blisters of 100 (25 x 4) and 30 (5 x 6); Lot #3305.039A and #3305.039B, respectively), due to crystallization of the nimodipine fill material in the capsule. The recalled capsules were manufactured for Sun Inc. by Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. and were distributed nationwide between January 19, 2012 and April 24, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert – Mangos: Please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango for current information on US retail distribution of recalled Daniella brand mangos and other products that contain these mangos.
- Allergy Alert: Canada Safeway Ltd. recalls Safeway Cooking Spray Canola Oil (110g and 170g; All codes) due to the presence of undeclared soy. The recalled oil was sold in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Yukon.
- Allergy Alert: Metro Ontario Inc. recalls Selection Orbital Assortment – Fruity Icy Pops(1.8 L; Code #12 208 A1), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold in Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert – Mangos: Please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango for current information on Canadian retail distribution of recalled Daniella brand mangos and other products that contain these mangos.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Musgrave Retail Partners withdraws Centra Chocolate Butter Biscuits (125g; All batch/date codes) due to incomplete allergen labelling. The product contains gluten, wheat, milk & soya which, although they are listed in the ingredients list, are not mentioned in the allergy information box.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Musgrave Retail Partners withdraws Centra Chocolate Chip Cookies (150g; All date codes) due to incomplete allergen labelling. The product contains gluten, wheat, milk and egg which are not mentioned on the allergy information box gluten, wheat, milk and egg which are not mentioned on the allergy information box.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Futura Copenhagen A/S recalls Alpi del mare brand Italian Nectarines (Lot #GF9367; sold in bulk), due to evidence of Campylobacter contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus recalls Rothaus Pils Alkoholfrei (0.33 liter glass bottles; Best before 16.01.2013; Lot #3019306), due to turbidity and off-odor.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Unilever recalls Knorr Fix Giechischer Nudel-Hack-Auflauf (Lot codes starting with L2227 and L2228; Best before 11/2013), Knorr Fix Hackbällchen Bologna (Lot codes beginning L2220 and L2221; Best before 11/2013), and Knorr Fix Geschnetzeltes Toskana (Lot codes beginning L2222 and L2223; Best before 11/2013), because some of the packages may contain small plastic pieces.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Unilever recalls Knorr Suppenliebe Piratensuppe (Lot codes L2226 and L2227; Best before 11/2013), because some of the packages may contain small plastic pieces. The affected batches were distributed across Germany beginning August 7, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Grandi Salumifici Italiani Spa recalls Wurstel di pollo / Chicken sausage (Lot’s #71112, 81112, 91112 and 101112), due to the presence of chloramphenicol.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Spain): Swiss Co. Services AG and Grünenthal Pharma, S.A. recall Zaldiar 37.5mg Effervescent Tablets/Tramadol hidrocloruro y paracetamol (20 tablets; Lots #00102C and 00060D; Expiry 05/2013 and 02/2014, respectively), because the concentration of the active ingredient tramadol hidrocloruro was found to be out of specification.
- Outbreak Alert (Belgium): Twenty out of 22 children attending the independent nursery ‘t Droomertje at Borgehout began to vomit shortly after having consumed a meal on August 28, 2012. Lab analysis by the Scientific Institute for Public Health detected Bacillus cereus, together with its toxin, in leftover food from the meal, and in samples of the vomit.
- Outbreak Alert (France): The health agency for Pays de la Loire have alerted doctors that 12 cases of hepatitis A in the region, including a cluster of seven cases in the Mans area. Investigators are searching for a possible common exposure.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1266): Cadmium in fresh parsnip from Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.1269): Salmonella typhimurium in lamb meat meal from the Netherlands; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Island
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a suspected food poisoning outbreak involving 14 patrons of a restaurant in Central and Western District on September 1st.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.