Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Eco Health, Inc. (Chatsworth, CA) recalls florAlign Prebiotic Formula berry-flavored powder (90g, 180g and 270g; distributed between June 2011 and August 2012), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The product was manufactured by Northridge Labs, which is owned by Irwin Naturals, and distributed by Eco Health within the USA via direct to consumer marketing, using mail order, internet and direct delivery. The manufacturer has ceased production and distribution pending the outcome of an investigation into the source of the contamination.
- Food Safety Recall: Organic Pastures Dairy (Fresno County, CA) recalls Grade A raw milk, raw skim milk and raw cream (Code date of SEP 13), after California Department of Food and Agriculture inspectors find Campylobacter in a sample of raw cream as a result of product testing conducted during a routine inspection and sample collection at the facility.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Kinney Drugs advises its customers that the manufacturer of Premier Value Fiber Plus Laxative/Calcium Capsules (120 ct; UPC 84098601987; Lot #15087) has recalled the product due to possible contamination with Clostridium difficile.
- Outbreak Alert: CDC reports that 14 persons from six states have become infected with Salmonella Typhimurium after coming into contact with pet hedgehogs. Two environmental samples from areas where hedgehogs lived or were bathed in patient households yielded the outbreak strain. Outbreak-related illnesses were reported in Alabama (1), Indiana (1), Michigan (3), Minnesota (2), Ohio (2) and Washington (5). Three of the outbreak patients have been hospitalized.
- Outbreak Alert: The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Maine CDC) reports a significant increase in cases of Vibrio infections in the state this year. Since July 1, 2012, four Maine residents and six out-of-state residents developed Vibrio infections, compared to four cases in 2011. Seven of the ten infections this year were due to Vibrio parahaemolyticus; one was due to Vibrio fluvialis, one due to Grimontia hollisae (formerly Vibrio hollisae) and one result is pending. All patients reported consuming some type of seafood during the period before becoming ill. The ten cases are not believed to be linked.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert – Mangos: Please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango for current information on US retail distribution of recalled Daniella brand mangos and other products that contain these mangos.
- Food Safety Recall: L’Olivier Del Mondo (Saint-Albert, QC) recalls Olives à l’ail dans l’huile / olives with garlic packed in oil (200g, with packaging dates up to and including August 19th, and sold in bulk at the Bois Francs (Victoriaville) public market up to and including September 5th), because the product may represent a food safety hazard.
- Food Safety Recall: Krown Produce Inc. recalls Daniella brand mangoes (Product of Mexico; PLU #4051 and 4584), because the mangos may be contaminated with Salmonella Braenderup. The recalled mangos were packaged and shipped to two Costco warehouses in Winnipeg on August 26, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert – Mangos: Please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango for current information on Canadian retail distribution of recalled Daniella brand mangos and other products that contain these mangos.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert (France): Forty-eight persons have been infected with Salmonella dublin after consuming saint-nectaire fermier raw milk cheese manufactured by Gaec Fereyrol and distributed by Dischamp. As a result of the connection between the outbreak and the consumption of the cheese, Gaec Fereyrol and Dischamp have recalled Fromage fermier au lait cru “Saint Nectaire.” The implicated cheese was sold between August 10 and September 5 2012 as follows: (a) directly at the Gaec Fereyrol farm, located at 63610 Besse, Puy de Dôme; (b) in the “cut to order” department of retailers (notably cheese shops) and supermarkets; and (c) prepackaged (Label carries the number 63 417 001) in self-service departments. A list of stores where the cheese was sold can be obtaining by calling the toll-free number 0 800 00 17 80. Anyone who consumed this product and who develops symptoms of a Salmonella infection should seek medical assistance.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Auchan recalls Profiteroles au chocolat Auchan (4 x 90g; Expiry 14.09.2012; UPC 3596710329175) due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Sainsbury’s recalls Sainsbury’s Bierre des Moulins Lager (30 x 25cl; All Best Before dates up to and including 22 September 2013) and Sainsbury’s St. Cervois Premium Lager (8 x 25cl; All Best Before dates up to and including 22 September 2013), because a small number of the bottles may contain pieces of glass.
- Food Withdrawal (UK/Northern Ireland): Britvic Ireland withdraws an additional batch of Still Plastic Multi-Pack Ballygowan Water (250 ml; Product of Ireland; Batch Date Code L2198; Best Before end July 13), due to an off-odor. The affected product was distributed in Northern Ireland only.
- Food Withdrawal (Ireland): Britvic Ireland withdraws Still Ballygowan Multipack (250ml; Batch code L2198; Best before end July 2013), due to off-odor.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.