Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Spokane Produce Inc. recalls Patch brand and Yoke’s brand Pineapple/Mango Pico de Gallo (16-oz plastic containers; UPC 8869483987; Use by date on or before 9/10/12), because the product contains Daniella brand mangos that were recalled by the supplier due to potential contamination with Salmonella. The recalled refrigerated Pico de Gallo products were distributed to 11 inland northwest supermarkets in Washington, Idaho, and Montana.
- Food Safety Recall: World’s Confections, Inc. (South Orange, NJ) recalls World’s Sour Dudes Sour Strawberry Strawz Candy (1.98 oz/56g; Product of Turkey; Lot Q226), due to unacceptable levels of lead. The recalled candy was sold at multiple locations in California.
- Food Safety Recall: Sun Sing Trading Inc (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Dried Croaker (44-lb bulk cardboard boxes; uncoded; Product of China), because the product was found to be uneviscerated and carries an elevated risk of Clostridium botulinum contamination.
- Food Safety Recall: Hannaford Bros. Co. recalls Hannaford Mango Spears (16-oz pkg; Sell by August 28), Hannaford Fruit Burst (10-oz, 20-oz, and 4-lb pkgs; Sell by August 28) and Hannaford Tropical Medley (16-oz pkg; Sell by August 28), because the products contain Daniella brand mangos that were recalled by Splendid Products due to possible Salmonella contamination. Hannaford also has removed the affected Daniella brand mangos (PLU #4051) from its stores.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that 105 persons from 16 states have been confirmed infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Braenderup since July 1, 2012. Twenty-five people have been hospitalized. The outbreak is believed to be associated with consumption of mangos. For a current list of affected states, recalled products, and retailers that carried the recalled products, please refer to Salmonella Braenderup – Mango.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that 204 persons from 22 states have been confirmed infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Typhimurium. Seventy-eight people have been hospitalized, and Kentucky reported two deaths. This outbreak has been linked to the consumption of cantaloupes from Chamberlain Farms Produce, Inc. (Owensville, IN). FDA investigations have recovered the outbreak strain from surface areas at the farm as well as from samples of cantaloupe at the farm.
- Food Safety Recall: Klement Sausage Company Inc. (Milwaukee, WI) recalls Klement Sausage Co. Bratwurst Patty (10-lb cases containing 4-oz patties; Produced July 6, 2012), because the product may contain pieces of a plastic pen. The recalled products were distributed for foodservice use in Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Food Safety Recall: Sobeys Inc. recalls Tropical Fruit Salad (16-oz; Sold up to and including August 29, 2012), sold only at Southbrook Sobeys, 1109 James Mowatt Trail SW, Edmonton, AB, because the product may contain Daniella brand mango as an ingredient and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Mex Y Can Trading Inc. (Mississauga, ON) expands its earlier recall of Daniella brand mangos (Product of Mexico) to include those with stickers bearing PLU #3114, 4051, 4311, 4584 or 4959, because the mangos may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled mangos were sold at various retail stores nationwide from July 12 up to and including August 29, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Le Végétarien (Sept-Îles, QC) recalls Sauce à spaghetti and Creton, sold refrigerated in Mason jars up to and including August 29, 2012, because the products were not manufactured in a way that insures their safety for human consumption.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda recalls Frozen Chicken Tandoori Thigh (700g; Best before 30 April 2013), because the product contains undeclared wheat gluten.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1252): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled ham from Spain; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1253): Salmonella in frozen marinated chicken halves from the Netherlands; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1254): Traces of gluten in potato snack from Germany; distributed to Germany and Spain.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Xiao Trading Pty Ltd. recalls Szechuan Hot Bean Curd Preserve (300g jar; Exp 24.07.2014; Product of Taiwan), due to contamination with Bacillus cereus. The recalled product was sold in Asian grocery stores in Melbourne (VIC).
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.