Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: BI-LO alerts its customers to a recall of Daniella Brand Mangoes (1 ct; UPC 0-00000-04051; Item code 600537; All lots).The recalled product may be linked to an outbreak of Salmonella Braenderup infections in the USA and Canada.
- Food Withdrawal: Spartan Stores alerts its customers to a withdrawal by The FRS Company of specific FRS® Healthy Energy® can flavors produced in June 2012 due to an off taste affecting some cans with a Best before date of June XX, 2013.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Octopus Gardens Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) that a November 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing and importer establishment found a serious violation of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Aladin Sweets & Market, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood importer establishment found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Mex Y Can Trading Inc. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Daniella brand Mangos (Product of Mexico; sold as part of multi-pack or as individual fruit; Sticker bearing PLU #4959 or PLU #4051), because they may be contaminated with Salmonella Braenderup. The recalled fruit was sold at various retail stores across Canada from July 12th up to and including August 28th, 2012. The Public Health Agency of Canada has reported 22 cases of Salmonella Braenderup infections associated with consumption of Mexican mangos as of August 22nd.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): Lidl Belgique alerts its customers that Goulash de porc Coquette (500g cans; Produced by Dreistern-Konserven GmbH & Co. KG; Lots #05.10.14, 19.10.14, 27.10.14 & 22.11.14) contains celery that is not declared on the product label. The item was sold at the end of 2011 as part of a sales promotion.
- Allergy Alert (Germany): Top Snacks GmbH recalls Crusti Croc brand Telly’s Hit potato snacks (125g; Best before 01/2013; Lot #LA 203.28A23: 34), because the product, which is claimed to be “gluten free,” was found to contain a small amount of gluten.
- Food Withdrawal (Ireland): Britvic Ireland withdraws Still Plastic Ballygowan (750ml; Batch date code L2139; Best before end May 2013) and Still Ballygowan Sports (1-liter; Batch date code L2143; Best before end May 2013), due to an off-odor in a small percentage of the bottles from these batches.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Spain): GlaxoSmithKline recalls Ventolin HFA Inhaler containing the active agent Albuterol (90 mcg, 200 metered inhalations; Lot 1ZP0576; Expiry 03/2013), due to an underdosage of the active ingredient.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.1239): Salmonella Agona in organic sunflower cake from the Netherlands, via Denmark; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1240): Glass fragments in prosecco from Italy; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1241): Metamitron in organic thyme herbal tea manufactured in Lithuania, with raw material from Poland; distributed to Lithuania.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1242): Undeclared gluten in corned beef from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1243): Unauthorized fonofos in organic camomile tea, organic camomile flowers from Lithuania, with raw material from Germany; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1244): Unauthorized clopidol in frozen raw chicken meat from Israel; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1245): Dioxins in organic eggs from Germany; distributed to Germany and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1246): Benzo(a)pyrene in sprat paste from Latvia; distributed to Austria.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1248): Arsenic and lead in clay from Italy; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1249): Mercury in chilled swordfish from Sri Lanka; distributed to Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1250): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled trimming of smoked salmon from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1251): Unauthorized phenylbutazone in chilled horsemeat from the United Kingdom; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Australia and New Zealand
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration advises the public not to consume Extra Power powder sachets, because the product contains the undeclared prescription substance aminotadalafil. The commercial supply of Extra Power powder sachet is illegal in Australia.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration advises the public not to consume Rock Hard for Men tablets, because the product contains the undeclared prescription substances tadalafil and glibenclamide. The commercial supply of Rock Hard for Men tablets is illegal in Australia.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration advises the public not to consume Ultra Men for Men tablets, because the product contains the undeclared prescription substances tadalafil and glibenclamide. The commercial supply of Ultra Men for Men tablets is illegal in Australia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.