Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Ohio): Fourteen people have been hospitalized – three of them serious ill with hemolytic uremic syndrome – and at least 68 attendees at a July 3rd Germantown, Ohio picnic have become ill, according to an update from Dayton & Montgomery County Public Health. Sixteen of the 68 outbreak victims are confirmed to be infected by E. coli O157.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Mexican Products and Spice Company (La Feria, TX) that a May 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Prismic Light International (Murfreesboro, TN) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s facility revealed a failure to comply with the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for dietary supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Vincent Piazza, Jr. & Sons Seafood, Inc. (Harahan, LA) that a February-March 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Silva Foods of Kansas City, Inc. (Kansas City, KS) that a May 2012 inspection of the company’s food processing facility found significant deviations from the requirements of the Acidified Food regulations.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Falengreen A/S recalls Urtekram Organic Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (140g; Best before 01-10-2012), due to mold growth in the bags. The recalled product was sold in grocery stores, supermarkets and Salling shops.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Rieber & Son Denmark A/S recalls AH Pølseketchup/Hot Dog Ketchup (900g plastic bottles, L-code 3025098; 1800g plastic containers, L-code 3025091; 4.25kg Bag in box, L-code 3025087), due to contamination with lactic acid bacteria. The recalled products were sold to catering companies in Denmark; the 900g bottles also were sold to SuperBrugsen in Thisted.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): La Société Gabriel Coulet SA recalls Auchan brand Roquefort AOP Tranche (150g; Lot #120406156 and 120406159; Best before 06/10/2012) and Le Fromager brand Roquefort AOP Barquette (130/180g; Lot #120406164; Best before 13/07/12, 14/07/12 and 15/07/12), due to possible contamination with Escherichia coli O26:H11. The recalled products were sold from 13/06/2012 to 13/07/2012, inclusive.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Prompt Thai 2000 (Wholesale) recalls Kraft Cheez Whiz Original (450g; Product of Philippines; all codes and expiry dates), and Kraft Cheez Whiz Pimiento Flavour (450g; Product of Philippines; all codes and expiry dates), because the Philippines is a country not approved to export milk or milk-based dairy products into the European Union.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0999): Undeclared sulphite in champagne from France; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1000): Salmonella enteritidis in frozen poultry meat preparation from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1002): Mercury in swordfish from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1004): Undeclared milk ingredient in biscuits from Slovenia; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1005): Prohibited nitrofuran in frozen peeled shrimps from India; distributed to Greece.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): United World Foods Ltd. (Christchurch, NZ) recalls Sea Cuisine Frozen Oyster Meat (1kg bags; Code 2090), Sea Cuisine Frozen Battered Oysters (1kg bags; Code 2080), Sea Cuisine Frozen Crumbed Oysters (1kg bags; Code 2083), Sea Cuisine Frozen Floured Oysters (1kg bags; Code 2084) and Sea Cuisine Frozen Japanese Crumbed Oysters (500g bags; Code 2085), due to possible presence of Norovirus. The recalled products were sold in smaller retail and wholesale food outlets throughout New Zealand.
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Bay Cuisine Ltd. (Napier, NZ) recalls The Mad Butcher Salami Roll (500g; All best before dates up to and including 17 August 2012), The Mad Butcher Pepperoni Roll (500g; All best before dates up to and including 17 August 2012), Ratanui Hams – cooked on the bone (Whole, half and champagne hams; All best before dates up to and including 12 September 2012) and Eazi Carve Plain Packed Boneless Leg Ham (Pieces and whole; All best before dates up to and including 9 September 2012), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria. The recalled products were sold in The Mad Butcher stores throughout New Zealand; ham products also were sold in Preston’s stores in Wellington, Porirua and Palmerston North.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.