Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Cass-Clay Creamery (Fargo, ND) recalls all date codes for Hombacher’s Peppermint Bon Bon Light (half-gallon/1.89 liter), Schroeder Peppermint Bon Bon (1.75 quart/1.65 liter) and SunnyBrook Peppermint Bon Bon Light (half gallon/1.89 liter), because they may contain undeclared eggs. The recalled products were distributed in Iowa, North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Allergy Alert: Arctic Zero Inc. (Escondido, CA) recalls for relabelling Arctic Zero frozen desserts (2 fl. oz. bars and 1 pt tubs) due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Pacific International Marketing recalls bulk Romaine Lettuce (Banded with a red twist tie marked Safeway; Code 12EASROM182 marked on the bulk RPC) due to potential Salmonella, following the finding of a positive Salmonella test taken at the field level. The recalled bulk Romaine Lettuce was sold in bulk produce bins from July 2, 2012 through July 4, 2012 at Vons and Pavilions stores in California and Nevada. The source of the contamination is unknown.
- Food Safety Recall: Buona Vita, Inc. (Bridgeton, NJ) recalls 324,770 pounds of various frozen, ready-to-eat meat and poultry products sold under the Cupino, Mama Isabella, Buona vita, Inc., Vincent Giordano, Dirusso’s, Silver Lake, Argenta Pride, Whitsons Food Service, M&R Frosted Food Co., Orefresco, Pullpen, Napoli, Whorle’s, and Buonamici brands (Est number P-954 or Est. 954; produced May 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, and 9th, 2012 ), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of recalled products. The products were sold to distribution facilities nationwide. The contamination was discovered through microbiological testing by USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service and the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
- Animal Feed Safety Recall: PMI Nutrition International expands its earlier recall to include the following products: Mazuri® Primate Maintenance Biscuit (25#; Formula 5MA2; Lot #APR11123), Mazuri® Mouse Breeder 9F (50#; Formula 5M68; Lot #APR20122), and Mazuri® Primate Basix (25#; Formula 5NAA; Lot #APR20123). These products may contain an elevated vitamin D level, which can be harmful to animals if fed for an extended time. The recalled products were distributed nationwide on or after April 12, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Fromagerie Boivin recalls Fromage râpé 30% Cheddar 70% Pizza mozzarella/Grated cheese, 30% Cheddar 70% pizza mozzarella (500g, 1kg, 2kg sizes; Best before 25 July 2012), Cheddar râpé/Grated cheddar (500g, 1kg, 2kg, 2.5kg sizes; Best before 25 July 2012), Fromage cheddar en meule/Cheddar cheese wheel (175g; Best before 20 July 2012) and Cheddar Boivin Écono-pack, fromage cheddar en meule (variable weights; Code 3959 or 3950; Best before 20 July 2012), because the products may be contaminated with Staphylococcus toxin. The recalled cheeses were packaged by Fromagerie Boivin using cheese produced by Fromagerie St-Fidèle, and were distributed in the Saguenay-Lac St-jean and Côte-Nord region.
- Food Safety Recall: Thomas Bros. Farm Market (London, ON) recalls Fresh Shelled Peas, sold from Thomas Bros. Farm Market (5856 Colonel Talbot Road, London Ontario) on June 27, 2012, because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Sweden): Axfood recalls Garant Hamburgare 4-pack, Garant Hamburgare 10-pack, Garant Hamburgare 4-pack Barbeque (Expiry 10-07-2012) and Garant Grillbricka (Expiry 09-07-2012) Burgers, after Salmonella was found in a sample during routine examination. The recalled burgers were sold in Willys, Hemköp, Prisextra and Tempo stores.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.