Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Winn-Dixie (a subsidiary of Bi-Lo Holdings) recalls Winn-Dixie Cheeseburger Skillet Dinners (5.8 oz; Sell by May 14, 2013; UPC 2114018080), because the product may contain small metal fragments. The recalled product was sold in Winn-Dixie stores in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Hawai’i): The Hawai’i State Department of Health has suspended the permit for Kanemitsu Bakery (Moloka’i), for producing baked goods manufactured under unsanitary conditions after receiving a complaint about insects and foreign substances in bread rolls purchased from the bakery.
- Food Safety Alert (Vermont): The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets is investigating reports of damage to fruits and vegetables grown in compost from Green Mountain Compost that is suspected to be contaminated with herbicide.
- Outbreak Alert: At least 107 people have been treated for gastrointestinal illness in an outbreak linked to a University of Notre Dame sports camp, according to Food Safety News. Parents of campers received a letter from the organizers alerting them to the outbreak.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall: Kimberly-Clark Professional Corporation recalls Kleenex-brand Luxury Foam Hand Sanitizer (1-L and 1.2-L containers; Lot #SA1229ANB; DIN 02366045), after samples of the product were found to be contaminated with bacteria from the Burkholderia cepacia group.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Lituanica recalls Pasaka Makeroni Vermisellai Pasta (400g; All batches up to and including best before date of 16.03.2014), because traces of egg were detected in one batch of the pasta. The product is labeled as “egg free pasta.”
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Pyhäntäläinen Maustaja Oy recalls Helsinki Maxi’n Ketchup (360g; Expiration Date 18/01/2013), due to a labeling error that resulted in the product containing undeclared celery.
- Allergy Alert (Greece): Papafili Mills SA recalls All Purpose Soft Flour (1 kg; Lot 1.068.12; Expiry 08.11.2012), due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Victory A.E.V.E. recalls Maxi Jack Kan Goo Pop Frutas lollipops (Product of Spain; Lot #2213), after EFET receives a complaint about a metal object in a package of the lollipops. The recalled product was sold by Metro SA.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0880): Mercury in frozen slices of shortfin mako from Singapore; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0881): Histamine in chilled tuna loins from Sri Lanka; distributed to Italy, Romania and Sri Lanka.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0882): Mercury in chilled sliced tuna from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0883): Insect larvae infestation in raisins from Iran; distributed to Poland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0885): Undeclared soya in flour from Italy; distributed to Cyprus.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0886, 2012.0887 & 2012.0890): Unauthorized 1,3 dimethylamylamine (DMAA) in food supplement from the USA; distributed to Finland and Sweden.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0888): Undeclared soya in flour from Greece; distributed to Cyprus.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall (Hong Kong): Hengan Pharmacare Co. Ltd. recalls Bandi Enema (Product of Taiwan; Registration #HK-48262; All batches) after a sample of the OTC product was found to contain higher than registered levels of glycerin and sodium chloride.
- Food Safety Alert (Philippines): Republic of Philippines FDA (PFDA) advises the public that China’s product quality watchdog found unusual levels of mercury in several batches of Yili baby formula (Quan You baby formula). This product is NOT registered with PFDA and there is no record of it having been imported into the Philippines. Nevertheless, the public is advised to be on the alert for this product.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Tai-Pan Trading Ltd. (Wellington, NZ) recalls Extra Joss Active Powdered Drink with Free Sports Bottle (2-pack special offer only), because the product contains undeclared Royal Jelly. The recalled product is sold in Countdown, New World and Pak n Save stores throughout New Zealand.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (New Zealand): Sanofi-Aventis recalls Tuberculosis BCG vaccine (available in New Zealand since November 2011), because checks of the air quality in the manufacturing facility found a problem, and the company cannot be completely confident that the vaccine is sterile. This same vaccine also was recalled recently in Canada and Australia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.