Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Banner Mountain Sprouts, Inc. (Sacramento, CA) recalls Organic Alfalfa Sprouts (1 & 2-lb bags and 4-oz plastic container; Sell by dates 6/17/12 to 7/6/12), Organic Clover Sprouts (1-lb plastic bag and 4-oz plastic container; Sell by 6/17/12 to 7/6/12), Zesty Greens (4-oz plastic container; Sell by 6/17/12 to 7/6/12), Sprout Salad (5-oz plastic container; Sell by 6/17/12 to 7/6/12) and Alfalfa-Broccoli Sprouts (4-oz plastic container; Sell by 6/17/12 to 7/6/12), due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled sprouts were distributed to wholesale and retail accounts in California.
- Food Safety Recall: Topco Associates recalls Spartan Bacon Ranch Salad Mix (7.5 oz; Sell by 5/17/13cb85 and 5/17/13ca85), Spartan Creamy Italian Salad Mix (8.3 oz; Sell by 5/18/13ca85), Spartan Creamy Parmesan Salad Mix (8.2 oz; Sell by 5/13/13cb85), Spartan Double Cheeseburger Skillet (6.0 oz; Sell by 05/21/13cb85, 04/26/13ca83, and 04/25/13cb83), and Spartan Cheeseburger Skillet (6.0 oz; Sell by 05/21/13cb85), because of the potential for small metal fragments in the product.
- Food Safety Recall: Phoenicia Group Inc. (St-Laurent, QC) recalls Alkanater brand Tahina (454g; UPC 6 92551 00002 0; Lot code TT3N-280312; Expiry 28/03/2014), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and New Brunswick, including in Whole Foods Markets, and may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Treasure Mills Inc. recalls Treasure Mills Brownie Bars (800g; Code 125 121; Best before 31MA12; UPC 8 05658 45080 7), due to contamination with unspecified harmful extraneous material. The recalled product was sold in Ontario.
- Food Safety Alert: The Windsor Essex County Health Unit has decided to ban restaurants from serving Kibbeh, the Lebanese dish made from finely ground raw beef, according to a CBC report.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Frozen Value withdraws Hawai Gourmand Vanilla Chocolate Cone (pack of 8 cones/960 ml), Hawai Gourmand Vanilla Cone with Sugared Hazelnuts (pack of 8 cones/960 ml and pack of 6 cones / 720 ml), Hawai Gourmand 4 Vanilla Chocolate and 4 Chocolate Pistachio (pack of 8 cones/960 ml), Super Duo Chocolate tub White and Milk Chocolate Dairy Ice Cream (875 ml plastic tub), and Albert Heijn Walnut Ice Cream Tub (875 ml plastic tub), because the products contain undeclared nuts, peanuts or sulphites.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Auchan and Simply Market recall Pouce brand Canned Sardines in Tomato (120g can; UPC 3596710741274; Expiration date 20/01/2015, 21/01/2015 et 26/01/2015), because the product may contain histamine.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Sweden): The National Food Administration warns that certain food supplements contain the substance DMAA (1.3-dimetylamylamin), which can be harmful to health. Affected products include Jack3D, Spriodex, Napalm, and Lipo-y Black.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0873): Insect larvae infestation in fresh red chili from Thailand; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0874): Salmonella spp. in chilled mixed minced meat from Sweden; distributed to Germany, Poland and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0876): Salmonella Schwarzengrund in frozen hamburgers from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0877): Bacillus cereus in organic radish sprouts from Germany; distributed to Germany.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.