Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Hannaford Supermarkets withdraws Hannaford brand Mini Frosted Cookies (10-oz pkgs; UPC 4126872374) from supermarket shelves, due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Animal Disease Outbreak Alert (Idaho): The Idaho Department of Agriculture is investigating a confirmed detection of Q Fever in an Idaho goat herd. The herd has been quarantined. Q Fever can be contagious to humans and most often is passed through contact with fetal membranes or birthing fluids of affected animals or may be inhaled if the bacterial particle becomes aerosolized. Human symptoms typically include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Lituanica UK Ltd. recalls Pasaka Vermisellai Pasta (400g; Best before 16 March 2014; UPC 4770374192125) because the product, which is labeled “egg free,” contains traces of egg.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Finland): Consumers are advised that food supplements containing the potentially hazardous compound 1,3-dimethylamylamine (DMAA) have been imported into Finland.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoire Zydus France recalls Omeprazole Zydus 20mg gastro-resistant capsules (Lot Nos. L07, L04 and L03; Expiry date Sept 2013), due to a disagreeable taste in certain of the capsules.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0831): Cadmium in frozen squids from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0832): Undeclared sesame in ginger and soy yakiniku from Sweden; distributed to Sweden.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0834): Unauthorized sulphite in coconut milk from Thailand, via Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0837): Pieces of wood in cane sugar from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0838): Unauthorized polysorbates in coconut milk from Thailand, via the Netherlands; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0840): Listeria monocytogenes in organic camembert from Denmark; distributed to Denmark and Sweden.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Taiwan): E. coli bacteria and excessive amounts of additives were found in a number of beverages and frozen food items during testing carried out by the Taipei City Department of Health, according to a report in The China Post.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a confirmed case of Shiga toxin-producting Escherichia coli infection in a 75-year old woman with a history of chronic illness. The patient reported no recent travel history, and her home contacts were asymptomatic.
Australia and New Zealand
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): Food Standards Australia New Zealand is working with state and territory government agencies and departments to investigate a range of products following complaints from consumers and some adverse health reports linked to products containing DMAA or 1,3-dimethylamylamine.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.