Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Truitt Bros., Inc. (Salem, OR) recalls Truitt Brothers Pacific Northwest Premium Navy Beans (15-oz can; UPC 8222524145; Can code MDSB S1GTD Best By: 7/18/14), due to the presence of undeclared soy, after it was discovered that a chili like product containing soy was labeled and distributed as Premium Navy Beans. The recalled product was distributed in Oregon, Washington and Northern California through retail stores between December 1, 2011 and June 15, 2012.
- Outbreak Alert: Contra Costa County Environmental Health officials have ordered the closing of California Pizza Kitchen at Broadway Plaza (Walnut Creek, CA) after test results confirmed a norovirus outbreak among customers and staff that is connected with salad served at the restaurant on Thursday, June 7th.
- Outbreak Alert: Oneida County (New York) Department of Health is investigating an outbreak of six confirmed cases of cryptosporidium that may be related to a recent Farmfest event, according to barfblog.
- Outbreak Alert: Two river-running companies operating in the Grand Canyon have reported incidents of gastrointestinal illnesses typical of norovirus. Coconino County health workers are sampling latrines and other waste for norovirus, according to the Arizona Daily Sun.
- Food Safety Recall: Dole Foods of Canada recalls Dole Fruit Cocktail (2.84L size; Lot code IOMSO41BQ, 2224A FRTC; Costco Item #275589), because the product may contain small glass particles. The recalled product may have been sold by Costco Wholesale in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba provinces between April 1st, 2011 and June 14th, 2012.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Sanofi Pasteur recalls all Bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine, because of problems in the manufacturing facility that Health Canada believes may have affected the vaccine quality.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Hilton Foods Denmark A/S recalls Minced Pork and Minced Pork/Veal (500g; Produced 29.05.2012; Best before 05.06.2012 and 06.06.2012), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Fa. Fromi GmbH recalls Chaource Tradition, Chaource Nu Tradition, Chaource Fromi, Chaource Fromi Nu, and Chaource AOC Lincet Metro cheeses (Product of France; 250g and 500g pkgs; Best before 07.07.2012, 08.07.2012, 09.07.2012 and 13.07.2012) due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Reimann Wurstliebhaber GmbH recalls Teewurst, loser Verkauf sausages, due to Salmonella detection. The recalled product was distributed in Thuringia.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Recall (France): French authorities order the recall of “TCQ Plus Phase 2 – Nano Hydra Keratin” hair treatment (500mL; Product of Mexico), because the product contains excessive (2.5%) formaldehyde.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Alert (Switzerland): The Federal Office of Public Health warns consumers that Pullach Hof Kartoffel-Erdäpfel Creme cosmetic cream (Manufactured by Stolz GmbH, Germany; 250ml; Lot #0370; Best before 30.11.2014 ) preseents a health risk, as it has been found to be contaminated with Pseudomonas aeruginosa and should not be used.
- Medical Device Safety Alert (UK): The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency warns the public of the sale of fake digital thermometers that can give inaccurate readings. The agency seized more than 400 of these thermometers after raids in Harrow and Oxford, according to BBC.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0821): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled meat product from the Czech Republic; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0826): Mercury in chilled swordfish from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0827): Aflatoxins in roasted kernels from Turkey; distributed to Romania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0829): Salmonella spp. in frozen pork meat from Germany; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0830): Histamine in canned tuna fish in sunflower oil from Thailand; distributed to Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Taiwan): The Taiwan FDA is investigating whether shellfish imported from South Korea may be contaminated. At least four people have fallen ill in Taiwan since October 2011 after eating South Korean seafood, according to the China Post. Recently, the US FDA removed all South Korean shellfish from its list of approved countries and urged the removal of South Korean shellfish from the US market.
- Food Safety Recall/Alert (Hong Kong): Great Pilot International Ltd. recalls ACE Family Grilled Grouper (original), imported from Thailand (95g pkg; Best before February 15, 2013), after the product is found to contain Tetrodotoxin, a powerful neurotoxin. The company has surrendered its remaining stock to the Centre for Food Safety, who urges members of the public not to consume the product.
- Food Safety Recall (China): Yili Group recalls Quan You Baby Formula (Produced between November 2011 and May 2012), due to an unusual level of mercury contamination, according to BBC.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.