Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. has recalled two dry cat food products due to potential Salmonella contamination.
The company initiated the recall following a Salmonella-positive test result in a routine state surveillance sample obtained by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
The recall is being carried out in cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Green Pea & Chicken Formula Dry Cat Food, 5-lb bag:- Best if used by 10-Mar-2022; Lot code 1008080 06:42N811202:20; UPC 2363306234
- Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Green Pea & Chicken Formula Dry Cat Food, 10-lb bag:- Best if used by 10-Mar-2022; Lot code 1008080 06:42N811202:20; UPC 2363300235
The recalled products were distributed nationwide in the United States through retail stores and online distribution.
According to the company’s recall notice, no customer complaints or illnesses have been reported to date, and no other Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. products are impacted by this recall.
Natural Balance was founded by Dick van Patten in 1989 and was acquired by The J.M. Smucker Company in 2018 as part of its purchase of Ainsworth Pet Nutrition.
Natural Balance is now owned by Nexus Capital Management, which purchased the business from The J.M. Smucker Company in January 2021 for approximately $50 million.
What consumers need to know
- Symptoms of Salmonella infection in cats may include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, fever, or excessive salivation.
- If you believe your cat may be suffering from Salmonella infection, consult your veterinarian.
- Salmonella can be spread from contaminated pet food to humans, either through handling the food or through shedding of the bacteria by an infected animal.
- Symptoms of Salmonella infection in humans may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- If you or a household member are experiencing any of symptoms of Salmonella infection, consult your healthcare provider.
- Pet parents who have questions or would like to report adverse reactions to the company should call 1-833-558-0908, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. PST or visit www.naturalbalanceinc.com/contact-us
- The FDA encourages consumers to report pet food-related illnesses directly to the agency. Refer to How to Report a Pet Food Complaint for details on how to proceed.