Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the horse meat investigation, please consult the Horse Meat Synopsis and Recalls page.
For up-to-date information on recalls and product withdrawals associated with the Kasel pet treat recalls and investigation, please consult the Kasel Dog Treat Recalls: 2012-2013 page.
- Allergy Alert: Lion Pavilion Ltd. (Maspeth, NY) recalls Grassplot Ginger Slices (100g/3.5 oz clear plastic bottle; Uncoded; Product of China), due to undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was distributed nationwide.
- Allergy Alert: Domega NY International Co. Ltd. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Green Day Brand White Melon Seeds (9.8 oz/280g clear plastic bag on plastic tray insert; EXP 09/29/2014; UPC 6868978724120; Product of China), due to undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was sold in New York City.
- Food Safety Alert: The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services and Poland Spring recommend that people who have purchased 3-gallon or 5-gallon water bottles from Poland Spring since November 1, 2012 open them and check for possible gasoline odors before using the water. After Super Storm Sandy, some residents used empty containers such as large water bottles to transport gasoline, and a small number of contaminated bottles are believed to have made it through the detection process and back into consumer use.
- Food Safety Alert: The Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) is warning consumers not to drink Dungeness Valley Creamery brand raw Jersey whole milk, raw Jersey skim milk, and raw Jersey cream because the products may be contaminated with toxin-producing Escherichia coli bacteria. The alert was initiated after routine sampling by WSDA found the pathogen in a sample of raw cream. Dungeness Valley Creamery products are sold at the following locations: Bainbridge Island (Real Foods; Pan D’Amore; Walt’s Lynwood Center Market), Bothell (Tru Health), Bremerton (CJ’s Evergreen General Store; Fresh Local), Federal Way (Marlene’s Market & Deli), Issaquah (Front Street Red Apple), Longview (Country Village Nutrition Shoppe), Olympia (Olympia Food Co-op East; Olympia Food Co-op West), Port Angeles (Country Aire; Good To Go), Port Townsend (Port Townsend Food Co-op), Poulsbo (Abundantly Green), Seattle (Madison Market; My Asia’s Essentials; Pike Place Market Creamery), Sequim (Sequim Prairie Grange; Red Rooster Grocery; Sunny Farms Farm Store), Tacoma (Marlene’s Market & Deli), and Vancouver (Chuck’s Produce; Neighbors Market)
- Food Safety Recall: Cardinal Meat Specialists Limited recalls Cardinal Beef Burgers (4.54 kg; Production code ending 22712) due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination. The recalled product was supplied to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Arla Foods Incorporated (Concord, ON) recalls Mauri brand Gorgonzola Cheese (Approx. 1.44 kg; Product of Italy; Code L. 3100012; Packaging date 07/01/13; Best before 07/04/13), due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled product was sold to consumers in Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Clic International Inc. (Laval, QC) recalls Clic Sesame Paste Tahina (454g/1 lb containers; Lot #1 350/12; UPC 0 58504 74097 7), due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was sold to consumers nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Loblaw Companies Ltd. recalls PC White Corn Black Bean Mild Salsa (650ml UPC 060383697211; Product code date BB 2013DE07) and PC Salsa Mild (430ml; UPC 060383736194; Product code date BB2014JA30), because some of the product may contain pieces of plastic. The recalled products were sold to consumers in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
- Food Recall: Saladexpress (1995) Inc. recalls Saladexpress Iceberg Kit (3.745 kg; Product code 70344; Production date 13/02/2013; Best before 24/02/2013), due to non-harmful extraneous material contamination. The recalled product was supplied to hotels, restaurants and institutions in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (UK): Castle Foods Company (London) Ltd. withdraws Sangha Foods and Core Foods brands of Chicken Tikka Masala with Rice, Chicken Curry with Rice, Chicken Biryani and Lamb Biryani with Rice (All use by dates), because the products were manufactured in premises that are not approved for meat products.
- Food Fraud Recall (France): Ikea recalls KÖTTBULLAR chez IKEA brand meatballs, frozen (1 kg) due to possible adulteration with horse meat, after the Czech Republic reported finding horse DNA in a production lot of the meatballs.
- Food Fraud Recall (Italy): Primia (San Giovanni in Persiceto) recalls Lasagne alla Bolognese (Lot #12326; Expiry 23 May 2014), due to possible adulteration with horse meat.
- Food Fraud Recall (Spain): Nestlé España recalls Fusilli boloñesa Buitoni, Canelones microondas La Cocinera, Empanada gallega de carne La Cocinera, Relleno de carne La Cocinera, Gratén de berenjenas la Cocinera, and Empanadillas de carne La Cocinera due to potential adulteration with horse meat.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0248): Salmonella in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0251): Adulteration (horse DNA) of tortelloni carne from Liechtenstein, produced in Switzerland; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Fraud Notification (EU #2013.0252): Adulteration (horse DNA) of frozen beef burgers from Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0253): Salmonella in chilled trimmings from Sweden, with raw material from the Netherlands; distributed to Sweden.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.