Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: Green Hope LLC, dba Rosewood Products agrees to a consent decree of permanent injunction for violations of FDA food safety regulations, after several FDA inspections found persistent violations involving insanitary conditions at the facility, leading to possible contamination of food. Under the decree, Green Hope must stop operations until FDA approves the steps taken to bring those operations into full compliance with the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and relevant food safety regulations.
- Food Safety Recall: Whole Foods Market recalls Cold smoked salmon lox trim (PLU 97629), Bagel Half with Lox Cream Cheese w/Capers (PLU 92811), Whole Bagel with Lox Cream Cheese with Capers (PLU 98437) and Gravlox Cream Cheese Spread (PLU 95307), made with Circle Sea Salmon Lox Trim because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were sold before Jan 29, 2013 in all Whole Foods Market stores in Washington and Oregon.
- Outbreak Alert: Contra Costa County (California) environmental health officials have closed the North Park Deli (Concord, CA) after two employees at the deli tested positive for norovirus. The investigation was initiated after 15 people who attended an event catered by the deli became ill.
- Allergy Alert: Riverbend Plantation Inc. expands an earlier recall to include the following additional products, due to undeclared milk and hazelnuts (second lot code added): Riverbend Plantation Brand Saskatoon Berry Chocolate Hearts (1 piece, 65g, 130g, 16 pieces & 32 pieces; Lot #211). The recalled products were distributed in Saskatchewan.
- Allergy Alert: E. Bourdon et fils inc. (Montreal, QC) recalls the following products, due to undeclared wheat, eggs, soy, crab, and/or mustard: Tournedos saumon et goberge, Tournedos truite et goberge, Rôti de porc cuit tranché, Rôti de boeuf cuit tranché, Bifteck épices int. rond reg, Biftec épices int. ronde fam, and Tournedos bifteck épices.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Tesco withdraws Tesco Mini Chocolate Crispies (49g; All best before dates; All batches), due to undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda withdraws Asda Chosen By You Home Baking Whole Blanched Almonds (150g; Best before 5 June 2013; Batch #2341), due to undeclared peanuts and walnuts.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Pili Trade recalls Koon Yick Wah Kee Rose Bean Curd Tofu (454g glass jar; Product of China; Expiry 30/3/2014), due to contamination with Bacillus cereus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0107): Norovirus in chilled oysters from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0119): Mold infestation in chocolate and orange spread from France, via Denmark; distributed to Denmark and Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0121): Mercury in frozen shortfin mako shark from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0124): Histamine in frozen tuna from Vietnam; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0128): Suspicion of histamine in chilled tuna from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0129): Ochratoxin A in dried figs from Turkey; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0131): Excessive Escherichia coli in chilled clams from Spain, via France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0132): Histamine in fresh tuna from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Natural Field Enterprises Ltd. recalls Greenfarm brand Vegetarian BBQ Bun, frozen (570g pkgs; Barcode 9555250500011; Product code TS001/18-001; All expiry dates), due to undecalred wheat, sesame oil, sesame seeds and monosodium glutamate (MSG).
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Calendar Cheese Company recalls Mauri Bonta’zola Gorgonzola DOP Blue Cheese (Product of Italy; Random weight pkgs between 1.3kg and 1.5kg; Best before 17/01/13 and 21/02/13) due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled cheeses were supplied to Thomas Dux Grocer, David Jones and Coles Supermarkets in New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.