Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Advance Pierre Foods (Enid, OK) recalls Fast Classics Chicken Fried Chicken Breasts (22.75-oz pouches and cases containing 6 x 22.75-oz pouches; Est P-2260Y; Best by Jan 22, 2014; Lot #1522960202; UPC 75901-33100), because the product may contain small pieces of metal. The recalled product was supplied to Walmart stores in Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.
- Food Safety Recall: Whole Foods Market recalls Whole Catch Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon cold smoked salmon (4 oz; Lot code 7425A2298B; UPC 0 99482 40880 0), after a sample of the product tests positive for Listeria. The recalled product was sold in Whole Foods Market stores in Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, and Utah.
- Food Safety Recall: Sprouters Northwest (Kent, WA) recalls Sprouters Northwest brand Clover Sprouts (4-oz container, 5-oz container, 1-lb bag & 2-lb tray; Best by 1/26/2013), Brocco Sandwich Sprouts (4-oz container; Best by 1/26/2013), Spicy Sprouts (4-oz container; Best by 1/26/2013) and Alfalfa Sprouts (3-oz container & 4-oz container; Best by 1/31/2013), after two samples collected at retail locations by the Washington State Department of Agriculture were found to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled sprouts were supplied from 1/10/13 to 1/18/13 in Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and British Columbia (Canada) through retail stores and food service distribution.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: D&S Herbals, LLC, dba Freedom Trading (Woodbridge, NJ) recalls Super Power capsules (2-count blister pack; Batch Lot #L08108; Expiration date 06/2015), after tests conducted by an independent lab detected trace amounts of sildenafil in the product.
- Personal Care Product Withdrawal: Topco Associates expands its earlier Market Withdrawal of Top Care Foaming Antibacterial Hand Soap Complete to include all lot codes, due to the presence of white floating particles throughout the product.
- Personal Care Product Withdrawal: Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc. withdraws K-Y® TINGLING® Jelly, K-Y® Sensitive Jelly and K-Y® SILK-E® Vaginal Moisturizer and Personal Lubricant after a review process determined that these items may require submission of new data to support a new medical device clearance (510(k)) application.
- Outbreak Alert Final Update: The Public Health Agency of Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency have concluded their investigation into an outbreak of five cases of E. coli O157:H7 illnesses (three in Ontario and two in Alberta) associated with the consumption of frozen beef burgers. The source of the outbreak was Butcher’s Choice Garlic Peppercorn frozen beef burgers, manufactured by Cardinal Meat Specialists Limited. The implicated beef was recalled in December 2012.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Nutrition & Santé Benelux recalls Céréal Gaufrettes Choco / Chocowafels (90g; Lot 2L0755; Expiry 13.08.2013), due to the possible presence of traces of rodenticide in the milk powder ingredient.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): The Co-operative recalls The Co-operative Breaded Chicken Nuggets (425g; Best before end October 2013; Batch codes L2288 6B and L2288 6C), because plastic has been found in some of the packets.
- Contact Lens Safety Recall (France): Johnson & Johnson Vision Care recalls 1-Day ACUVUE MOIST Contact Lenses (Lot #2054895620) and ACUVUE ADVANCE with HYDRACLEAR Contact Lenses (Lot #B00DJPQ), because incomplete package seals may compromise the sterility of the contact lenses.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0093): Salmonella typhimurium in dog chew from Argentina; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0095): Ochratoxin A in coffee from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2013.0096 & 2013.0097): Undeclared milk ingredient in frozen breaded prefried fish with improper packaging from Sweden; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0098): Glass fragments in jarred cherries from Germany; distributed to Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Saudi Arabia): The Saudi Food and Drug Authority alerts the population that 250-ml, 2-liter, 1-gallon and 5-liter containers of potable water bottled by Naqa Al Shallal Factory (Makkah) exceeds the maximum concentration of bromate permitted in bottled water. The company has been instructed to withdraw the product from the market and cease manufacturing until it is in compliance.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.