Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: Sugar Flowers Plus Inc. (Glendale, CA) recalls Cake Decors Pastillage (gumpaste) Flowers (various varieties and colors – see recall notice for detailed list), due to the presence of undeclared egg white. The recalled products were distributed to Hobby Lobby Stores and by direct online sale through the company website. The products may have been available Hobby Lobby stores in the following states between March 2004 and November 2012: AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IA, KS, KY, MD, MI, MS, MO, MT, NY, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OH, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WV, WI, WY.
- Allergy Alert: Mister Snacks, Inc. (Amherst, NY) recalls Sunbird Snacks Yogurt Raisins (5 oz pkgs; Lot Number/Expiration date EXP 0513 265), because they may contain undeclared peanuts. The recalled product was sold through retail stores nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Freshway Foods recalls Sonics Red Apple Slice (2.4 oz pkgs; Use by 11/30/2012; Shipped to Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, New York, Tennessee, Wisconsin), Motts Red Apple Slice (14 oz Innerlock bag; Use by 20/03/2012 and 12/6/2012; UPC 95829 20000; Shipped to Florida, Georgia, North Carolina) and Motts Green Apple Slice (14 oz Innerlock bag; Use by 12/03/2012; UPC 95829 20042; Shipped to North Carolina), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall Update: California Department of Public Health releases California retail distribution list for products recalled by Suzanna’s Kitchen.
- Outbreak Alert (Pennsylvania): Kimberton Whole Foods has removed from its Kimberton and Downingtown stores raw milk products packaged by Kimberton Farms Dairy (also known as Camp Hill Dairy or Kimberton Hills), after the Chester County (PA) Health Department received information of an increase of “severe gastroenteric symptoms” among consumers of raw milk supplied by the dairy.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that the outbreak of E. coli o157:H7 infections linked to Organic Spinach and Spring Mix Blend produced by State Garden (Chelsea, MA) appears to be over. In all, 33 infected persons were reported from five states; 13 people were hospitalized.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Cherry Point Products Inc. (Milbridge, ME) that a September-October 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns O Guest Ranch Maui LLC, dba Surfing Goat Dairy (Kula, HI) that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns B&A Seafood (Philadelphia, PA) that a September – October 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Massimo’s Dallas, Inc. (Dallas, TX) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s food manufacturing firm found serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice Regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sharkco Seafood International, LLC (Venice, LA) that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Kamawi, Inc. (Lorton, VA) that an October 2012 inspection of the company’s firm found significant violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations in manufacturing, packing, or holding human food, including contamination with bird and rodent excreta.
- Allergy Alert: Walmart Canada Corp. recalls Great Value Chicken Rice Condensed Soup (284 mL; All codes; UPC 6 81131 76044 7), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled product was sold nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Taylor Shellfish Canada/Fanny Bay Oysters recalls Fanny Bay Oysters brand Farmed Mattaki Oysters and Farmed Boathouse Kiss Oysters (Lot #7496; Harvested area 23- 3/1405569, Bernard Point, BC; Harvest date 12/02/2012; Process date 12/06/2012), due to the presence of marine biotoxin. The recalled oysters were distributed in British Columbia to retailers, hotels, restaurants and institutions.
- Food Safety Recall: Nestlé Canada Inc. (North York, ON) recalls certain Buitoni brand pizzas (product of Germany), because the products may contain pieces of metal. The recalled items, which were distributed nationally, include: Buitoni Funghi Rustico (365g; UPC 0 55000 59984 9; Production codes 21952276G2, 21952276G3, 22952276G3), Buitoni Margherita (350g; UPC 0 55000 59985 6; Production codes 21672276G3, 21682276G1, 22092276G1, 22822276G2, 21952276G2), Buitoni Pepperoni Diavolo (340g; UPC 0 55000 59986 3; Production codes 22092276G3, 22102276G1, 22822276G3), Buitoni Pollo Toscano (350g; UPC 0 55000 59987 0; Production code 22092276G2) and Buitoni Spinaci Fresca (360g; UPC 0 55000 59990 0; Production codes 21952276G3, 21962276G1).
- Outbreak Alert: St. Paul’s Hospital in Saskatoon (Saskatchewan) has been closed to visitors due to an outbreak of suspected Norwalk-like virus (norovirus), according to CBC News.
- Allergy Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency has been advised that the following three marinated mushroom products, manufactured in Poland and bearing ‘best before’ dates between 31 December 2013 and 31 May 2014, contain undeclared sulphites: Provitus Podgrzybki Marynowane-Xerocomus badius (250g), Provitus Kurki Marynowane-Cantharellus cibarius (250g), and Provitus Opienki Marynowane-Armillaria mellea (250g).
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Le Chevret Chimacien recalls Chevret Chimacien fresh goat cheeses (Expiry date 10/12/12; Sold between 23/11/12 and 07/12/12), due to Listeria contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Salads Kolding A/S recalls Irma’s selected Curry Salad with pickles (200g; Best before 17/12, 20/12 and 27/12-2012), because small rust flakes have been found in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): ARDO A/S recalls Green Beans (700g plastic bag; Production date 6/8-2012; Best before 6/12-2014; Lot #L06082012JE; Packed in France), after herbivore excrement (probably from a rabbit or hare) was found in a bag of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Nestlé Grand Froid recalls the following Buitoni brand Pizzas Sensazione (Expiry dates between June 2013 and August 2013, inclusive), because the products may contain metal particles: Thon cuisinée aux câpres et oignons rouges, Mozzarella et Provolone cuisinée au basilic et huile d’olive, Pepperoni cuisinée au basilic et origan, and La Spéciale cuisinée au pesto.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Wagner GmbH recalls The Fresh Baked and Big Pizza brand pizzas (Best before dates March 2013 to November 2013), after two consumer complaints regarding small pieces of metal found in the pizza.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1691): Glass fragments in organic baby food from Germany; distributed to Germany, Hungary, Poland and Serbia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1694): Salmonella Brunei in Can Tay celery from Vietnam; distributed to Denmark.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1695): Undeclared soy in sweet pepper twists from the Netherlands; distributed to France and the Netherlands.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1696): Excessive Enterobacteriaceae in dog chews from China; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1697): Norovirus in clams from the United Kingdom; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1698): Dimethoate in apples from Croatia, via Slovenia; distributed to Austria and Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1700): Excessive sulphite in dried and pitted apricots from Turkey, via Slovakia; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1701): Undeclared sulphite in bordeaux wine from France; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1705): Salmonella in chilled beef meat from Germany, via the Netherlands; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1707): Clostridium and potentially pathogenic Escherichia coli in green beans from France contaminated with hare or rabbit faeces; distributed to Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Japan): Ito En (Japan) has recalled 400,000 packages of Oolong tea grown in China after a test revealed pesticide residues that exceed Japanese food safety limits.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is invetigating a suspected food poisoning outbreak involving 15 men and 19 women who became ill about 13 hours after dining at a restaurant in Kwai Tsing on December 9th.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Alert (Brazil): Brazil has reported a case of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) to the World Organization for Animal Health). The case was first observed in 2012, but only reported now.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.