Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on international and retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
- Allergy Alert: Legendary Baking (Denver, CO) recalls Private Selection Apple Lattice Pies (9-inch; UPC 1111060195; Lot code 12296; Sell by dates November 4 – 26, 2012, inclusive), because the pies may contain undeclared eggs. The recalled pies were distributed to Quality Food Centers in Washington State and Oregon.
- Allergy Alert: Newman’s Own, Inc. recalls Newman’s Own Lite Honey Mustard Dressing (16 fl oz bottles; Sell by 16 OCT 13 M; Time stamp 12:47 – 13:30; UPC 0 20662 00292 1), because the product contains undeclared milk. The recalled dressing was sold in retail stores in the Eastern to Midwestern US.
- Allergy Alert: Soloway Hot Dog Factory Inc. recalls all varieties of All Beef Weiner, Soloway’s Weiners, Halal Beef Weiner, Bratwurst Sausages, Soloway’s Supreme Weiners, and Chicken Weiners (all codes where mustard is not declared in the ingredient list), due to the presence of undeclared mustard. The recalled products were distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Arla Foods Incorporated recalls Tre Stelle Grated Cheese 100% Parmesan (125g; Best before 2013/JN/01; UPC 0 59441 00428 3), due to microbiological spoilage. the recalled product was sold through retailers in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall: Energizer Personal Care expands its earlier recall of continuous spray sun care products because there is a possibility that these sunscreens could ignite on the skin if the consumer comes into contact with an open flame or spark before the spray has completely dried. The complete list of recalled products includes: Banana Boat Sport Performance 30 Spray Sunscreen (180 mL; UPC 079656008784), Banana Boat Ultra Defense SPF 30 Spray Sunscreen (180 mL; UPC 079656008371), Banana Boat Sunscreen Oil Spray SPF 15 (UPC 079656009798), Banana Boat Ultra Defense SPF 60 Spray (180 mL; UPC 79656 04991-6), and Banana Boat Sport Performance SPF 60 Spray (180 mL; UPC 79656 04990-9).
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Märsch Importhandels GmbH recalls Ground Hazelnuts (200g; Best Before dates 06.06.2013 and 06.07.2013), because the product was found to be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold exclusively at Lidl in early September.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Norway): Public health officials in Norway are reporting 10 cases of salmonellosis due to a single, rare strain of Salmonella Mikawasima. The patients all are adults (aged 20-50 years), and live in six different counties (Akershus Aust-Agder, Vest-Agder, Hordaland, Oppland, Oslo and Nordland). The source of the outbreak is still undetermined.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (China): China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine has suspended import of nuts produced by Sunland, Inc. (Portales, New Mexico, USA) as a result of the recent recalls and outbreak of salmonellosis linked to the company’s peanut butter and peanut products.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a suspected food poisoning outbreak involving 59 patients (34 males and 25 females) at Castle Peak Hospital and Siu Lam Hospital. Most of the patients were given meals provided by a single outside vendor located in Castle Peak Hospital. All are in stable condition.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.