Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Piller’s Fine Foods (Waterloo, ON) recalls Piller’s brand Pepperoni Sliced (6 x 500g; UPC 0 69401 04605 5; Best before 2012 NO 01, 2012 NO 20, 2012 NO 27, 2012 DE 03, 2012 DE 05, 2012 DE 13), Piller’s brand Sub Pac Classic $5 – Pepperoni, Luncheon Meat, Smoked Ham (400g; UPC 0 69401 03613 1; Best before 2012 OC 18, 2012 NO 19, 2012 NO 20, 2012 NO 27, 2012 DE 05), and Piller’s brand Sub Pac Classic – Pepperoni, Luncheon Meat, Smoked Ham (250g; UPC 0 78727 03605 6; Best before 2012 SE 11, 2012 SE 20, 2012 SE 26, 2012 OC 11, 2012 OC 25, 2012 NO 01, 2012 NO 12, 2012 NO 20, 2012 NO 23, 2012 NO 27, 2012 DE 07), because the products contain wheat that is not declared on the label. The recalled items were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec, and may also have been sold in other provinces.
- Allergy Alert Update/Correction: Rich Products of Canada, Limited (Fort Erie, ON) recalls the following expanded/corrected list of products, which contain undeclared almonds: Dorgel Hazelnut Gelato (1.65L; UPC 069892180733; Lot Nos. 11281, 11294, 11306, 11348, 12055, 12069, 12104, 12118, 12123, 12129, 12158, 12159), Dorgel Bacio Chocolate Gelato (1.65L; UPC 069892180764; Lot Nos. 11286, 11307, 11308, 11329, 11347, 12053, 12061, 12102, 12124, 12132, 12138, 12146, 12154, 12223), Dorgel Bacio Tartufo – 4 pk (125 ml x 4; UPC 069892177368; Lot Nos. 11322, 11347, 12061, 12132, 12188), Dorgel Bacio Tartufo – 30 pk (125 ml x 30; UPC 069892177696; Lot Nos. 11322, 11347, 12061, 12132) and Farmboy® Hazelnut Gelato (700 ml: UPC 808912002026; Best before 2012 11 29 / 2012NO29). The Dorgel products were sold in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and British Columbia and possibly in other provinces; the Farmboy® Hazelnut Gelato was sold in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency advises the public that the following items were recalled in response to the recall of peanuts and nut butter products by Sunland, Inc in conjunction with an outbreak of Salmonella Bredeney infections in the USA: Sunland Inc. Raw In Shell Peanuts (25 lb bulk; Item #10108; Best by Oct 12, 2012 to Oct 12, 2013; distributed in certain stores in Ontario); PureFit Peanut Butter Crunch Bars (56.7g; UPC 8 12787 00100 8; Best by 1 March 2013 (corrected from 1 March 2012) and 12 July 2013; distributed across Canada) and PureFit Peanut Butter Crunch (Box of 15; UPC 8 12787 00200 5; Best by 1 March 2013 (corrected from 1 March 2012) and 12 July 2013; distributed across Canada).
- Outbreak Alert Update (Northern Ireland): The outbreak of E. coli O157 illnesses linked to Flicks restaurant in Cityside Mall, Belfast stands at 44 confirmed and 144 probable cases as of 3pm Friday, October 19th. All of the confirmed outbreak victims were infected with E. coli O157 Phage Type 54. An August 2012 outbreak cluster of four illnesses linked to the same restaurant was caused by E. coli O157 Phage Type 8 and appears to be unrelated to the current outbreak. The Public Health Agency urges anyone who ate at Flicks since September 24th and who is experiencing diarrhea – especially bloody diarrhea – should seek immediate medical attention.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1462): Glass fragments in whole cherry tomato & chilli sauce from Italy; distributed to Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1463): Ochratoxin A in ground nutmeg from Germany, with raw material from the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1464): Salmonella typhimurium in chilled rump beef meat from Poland; distributed to Italy and Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1465): Yessotoxin in chilled mussels from Italy; distributed to Italy and Spain.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.