Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Forever Cheese Inc. recalls Ricotta Salata Frescolina brand Forever Cheese (Product of Italy; Lot #T9425; Production code 441202), due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination, after the cheese was linked to 14 cases of Listeria monocytogenes infections in 11 states. The recalled cheese was sold to distributors for retailers and restaurants in California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington between June 20th and August 9th, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Spartan Stores, Inc. (Grand Rapids, MI) recalls a number of deli products (Items labelled either with the Spartan Logo or an oval Spartan Fresh Selections label; All sizes and all lot codes), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products, which were distributed to Family Fare, D&W Fresh Markets, Glen’s and VG’s supermarkets and a select number of independent retailers in Michigan.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Trans-Pacific Assets Management (Hayward, CA) that a July-August 2012 inspection of the company’s facility found a serious violation of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Yangpo Foods Co., Ltd. (Pohang, Korea) that an April 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood manufacturing facility found deviations from the Seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) Regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns MDK Enterprises, Inc. dba Maui Jelly Factory and Maui Fudge & Ono Chocolates (Pukalani, Maui, HI) that a May 2012 inspection of the company’s food processing facility located at Wailuku, HI found significant deviations from the requirements of the Acidified Food regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Fresh Mushroom Farm, Inc. (Imperial, MO) that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s manufacturing facility found significant violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations in manufacturing, packing or holding human food.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Wendell Corporation, dba Regalo Bakery (Honolulu, HI) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s bakery found serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Global Biotechnologies, Inc. (Portland, ME) that a January-March 2012 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing, packaging, labeling, and distribution facility revealed significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) in Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Henry’s Farm Inc. (Woodford, VA) that an April-May 2012 inspection of the company’s soybean sprout and mung-bean sprout manufacturing facility, conducted in response to a sample ofsoy bean sprouts collected by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) that yielded Listeria monocytogenes, documented numerous insanitary conditions and practices that may have contributed directly or indirectly to contamination of your sprouts with pathogens and filth. In addition, samples collected during the inspection revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in the company’s JJBS soy bean sprout product. Henry’s Farm recalled its sprouts on April 30, 2012.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Chu Minh Corp., dba Chu Minh Tofu (Seattle, WA) that a March 2012 inspection of the company’s food manufacturing firm documented serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) regulation for foods.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market recalls 365 brand Vegan Lasagna (284g; All codes; UPC 0 99482 43850 0), due to the presence of undeclared soy. The recalled product was sold in Whole Foods Market locations in Oakville, Mississauga, and Toronto.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market (Mississauga) recalls 365 brand Vegetable Lasagna (284g; All codes; UPC 0 99482 43851 7), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Allergy Alert: Super Pufft (Mississauga, ON) recalls Compliments brand Sensations Sweet & Salty Kettle Corn (297g packages; UPC 6 23682 11058 6; Lot code BB/MA 2012 NO 06), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold only in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Morrisons recalls Morrisons Dried Goji Berries (100g pkg; All date and batch codes), due to the presence of undeclared sulphur dioxide.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): KD Food recalls Irma’s brand Hummus (250g plastic trays; Best before 3/10-2012), due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled product was sold in Irma shops.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La société Labo L. Peugeot recalls Boko brand canned foods (all expiry dates), due to processing anomalies. The recalled products were distributed between the end of 2012 and August 29th 2012 in the Bourgogne, Rhône Alpes and Paris regions. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of stores where the recalled canned food products were sold.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Germasco GmbH recalls Dried Seaweed (113g; Expiry 31.12.2013; Lot #100929; Packed by Wing Man Trading Co. Ltd., China), due to excessive levels of iodine in the product.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Israel): Neto recalls Sterling brand Frozen Smoked Salmon (100g & 200g; Production date 30 July 2012; Expiration date 28 February 2013; UPC 7290003821761), after the Ministry of Health finds Listeria in the product.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.