Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Clif Bar & Company recalls 12-pack Blueberry Crisp CLIF® Bars (Best by date 17MAR13G3; UPC 7-22252-30260-1; Blueberry Crisp CLIF Bars mislabeled in Chocolate Chip CLIF Bar individual wrappers with Best by date 17MAR13G3 and UPC 7-22252-10090-0), due to the presence of undeclared almonds. The recalled products were distributed to a limited number of stores east of the Mississippi River.
- Food Safety Recall: Dale T. Smith and Sons Meat Packing (Draper, UT) recalls approximately 38,200 pounds of Boneless Beef “50/50,” “85/15,” “90/10,” “93/07” or “95/05”, and primal cuts, subprimal cuts and boxed beef (various weight combo bins; produced Aug 7, 2012; Est 4975), because the beef products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled products were distributed to wholesale and retail establishments in California and Salt Lake City, Utah, and were destined for further processing. The contamination problem was discovered through USDA lab testing and may have occurred as a result of refrigeration malfunction.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA updates retail distribution information for various meat and poultry salad products that were recalled by Garden Fresh Foods due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Outbreak Alert (Nebraska): The South Heartland District Health Department and the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services are investigating 17 confirmed and 2 probable/suspect cases of Salmonella infections among residents, staff and visitors at the Blue Hill Care Center in Webster County. Four residents were hospitalized temporarily; one visitor remains in hospital. The source of the outbreak is under investigation.
- Outbreak Alert (Illinois): Will County Health Department is investigating a cluster of E. coli cases – including seven involving children – that may be associated with beaches in the Wilmington-Essex area, according to a report in The Daily Journal.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Zarda Foods, LLC (Blue Springs, MO) that a July 2012 inspection of the company’s processing facility revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Trafon Group, Inc., dba Star Meat (Guaynabo, PR) that a January/February 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing and importer facility in San Juan, PR found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sea World, Inc. (St. Thomas, VI) that a March 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood warehouse establishment found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Ciresa Formaggi, Snc (Introbio, Italy) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s cheese processing facility found serious deviations from the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- Food Safety Recall: Highline Mushrooms (Leamington, ON) recalls Highline Mushrooms Sliced White Mushrooms (227g/8oz containers; Lot #L410805; Best before 12AU15; UPC 7 71163 00005 2) and Compliments Sliced White Mushrooms (227g/8oz containers; Lot #L410805; Best before 12AU15; UPC 0 68820 10090 4), because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario, and may also have been distributed in other provinces.
- Food Safety Recall: Leadbetter Foods Inc. recalls Leadbetters Lean Ground Beef Tubes (4 x 400g; Code #1704; UPC 8 73587 00164 3) due to harmful extraneous material contamination. The recalled product was sold in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda withdraws Asda 4 x Frozen Chargrilled Quarter Pounders (Best before 5 June 2013), because the product may contain chili quarter pounders, which contain soya not mentioned on the label.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1165): Mercury in frozen swordfish from the United Kingdom, via Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1166): Histamine in canned sardine in tomato sauce and herbs from Morocco; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1167): Salmonella in frozen chicken from Brazil; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1169): Mercury in chilled swordfish fillets from Sri Lanka; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1170): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled chicken pasta from Romania; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1171): Undeclared peanut in wafers with cream filling from Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Frucor Beverages recalls New Zealand Natural Bottled Still Spring Water (6 x 1.5L multipacks; Best before 24/10/2013 to 30/10/13, inclusive), following a consumer complaint identifying algal growth in a bottle.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.