Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Interior Alaska Fish Processors, Inc. (Fairbanks, AK) recalls Santa’s Smokehouse Gourmet Smoked Salmon (Batch #408 through #457; All batches processed since December 2011 with labels indicating that the products can be kept under refrigeration), due to possible contamination with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled products were distributed in and around the Fairbanks area, and sold online through the company web site.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Albertsons advises its customers that products recalled by GH Foods because they contain yellow onions that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes were sold at Albertsons stores in California and Nevada.
- Food Safety Recall Update: FDA posts detailed list of products recalled by Garden-Fresh Foods because they contain onions from Gills Onions that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. California Department of Public Health reports that products recalled by Garden-Fresh Foods were sold in Target stores across California.
- Food Safety Recall: San Miguel Produce, Inc. (Oxnard, CA) recalls Cut ‘N Clean, Comfort (Cooking) Greens Kits (24-oz clamshell container; UPC 028764000616; run number-best used by dates of 20260-07/25/12, 20260-07/26/12, 20340-07/27/12, 20437-07/30/12, 20546-08/02/12, 20651-08/03/12, 20756-08/06/12, and 20756-08/07/12), because the products contain onions from Gills Onions, which has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled Kits were distributed July 13, 2012 through July 17, 2012 to retail stores in Arizona, California, Iowa and Nevada.
- Food Safety Recall: Garden Fresh Foods (Milwaukee, WI) recalls various meat and poultry salad products, because the salads contain diced onions recalled by Gill Onions due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. Please refer to the USDA recall notice for a detailed list of impacted products.
- OTC Drug Safety Recall: DUKAL Corporation recalls selected lots of Zee Antiseptic Swabs, Med 2 ply (50/box, 36 boxes/case; Item #0204), Zee Antiseptic Swab, Med 2 ply (100/box, 20 bx/cs; Item #0271), Dukal BZK Swab, Med 2 ply NS (1/pch, 200/box, 20 bx/cs; Item #854), Zee Antiseptic Swab, Med 2 ply (50/box, 36 bx/cs; Item #02040), Zee Antiseptic Swab, Med 2 ply (10/bx, 10bx/bdl, 6 bdl/cs: Item #2633) and Dukal BZK Swab Med 2 ply NS (1/pch, 1000/bx, 4 bx/cs; Item #854-1000), because the swabs may be contaminated with Burkholderia cepacia. The recalled benzalkonium chloride antiseptic swabs and wipes were manufactured for DUKAL by Jianerkang Medical Dressing Co. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected lot codes.
- Allergy Alert: Healthcare Food Services Inc. recalls HFS Carrot Minced, bulk (5 x 1.0 kg; Daycode 2171-1; Expiry date 3170; UPC 1 0062373 61000 9), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Ontario and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Waitrose recalls Waitrose Good to Go Tuna Nicoise Salad (280g; Use by 3 August 2012), because the product contains undeclared wheat gluten.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Delhaize Belgique recalls Delhaize Fresh Sticks (349g; Best before date of 01/08/12; Lot #241450), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria.
- Food Safety Recall (Scotland): Glasgow City Environmental Health Department recalls Good Foods Chicken Pakora (All date codes), because the product was handled and packaged in an unapproved establishment.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1093): Undeclared gluten in ground black pepper from Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1096): Tolfenpyrad in fresh peppers from Turkey; distributed to Austria.
- Foodborne Outbreak Notification (EU #2012.1098): Scombroid syndrome caused by chilled yellow fin tuna from Sri Lanka; distributed to Italy.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1099): Unauthorized dimethylsildenafil in food supplement from Cyprus; distributed to Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1100): Aflatoxins in pistachios in shell from Iran; distributed to Germany and Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1101): Mercury in chilled vacuum packed yellow fin tuna from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1102): Undeclared milk in blackcurrant sorbet from Belgium; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1103): Salmonella in chorizo from Spain; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1104): Salmonella spp. in mechanically separated frozen poultry meat from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1106): High Escherichia coli level in chilled clams from Italy; distributed to Italy and Spain.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a suspected food poisoning outbreak involving 10 persons who developed diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain about 10 to 25 hours after dining at a restaurant in Tsuen Wan on July 24th.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (New South Wales, Australia): Patrons of Sumo Salad (Westpac Place, Kent St., Sydney) who ate food bought between Wednesday July 11th and Thursday July 26th may have been exposed to hepatitis A. A food handler who prepared salad at Sumo Salad has been diagnosed with the Hepatitis A virus. A free vaccine clinic will be held at Sydney Hospital for people who ate salad or sandwiches from Sumo Salad, Westpac Place between Thursday 19 July and Thursday 26 July. Individuals who purchased food from Sumo Salad between July 11th and July 18th should see their doctor if they develop symptoms; it is too late for the hepatitis A vaccine to be effective in these individuals. Please refer to the NSW Hepatitis A Alert for additional details.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.