Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Mount Franklin Foods, LLC recalls Sunrise Indian Corn Candy (16-oz plastic tus; Best by MAR 26 2013; Lot #2321811; UPC 0-76500-16651-5) due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Florida through Albertson’s LLC retail stores between 7/3/2012 and 7/5/2012.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases updated Retail Distribution List for frozen, ready-to-eat meat and poultry products recalled by Buona Vita, Inc. due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases updated Retail Distribution List for supplementary recall of frozen, ready-to-eat meat and poultry products by Buona Vita, Inc, due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases updated Retail Distribution List for ground beef products recalled by Cargill Meat Solutions Corporation due to potential Salmonella Enteritidis contamination. The recalled products have been linked to 33 confirmed cases of salmonellosis in 7 states.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: CRM Laboratories recalls X-ROCK 3-Day Pill for Men and Z-Rock All Natural Male Supplement (all codes of both products), after the products were determined by FDA to contain the undeclared active pharmaceutical ingredients sildenafil and hydroxythiohomosildenafil.
- Outbreak Alert Update: E. coli O157:H7 has claimed the life of a 73-year old man from the Germantown area who became infected as a result of consuming food at a picnic at Neff’s Lawn Care in Germantown, Ohio. At least 75 people have become ill, including 14 who were hospitalized. The 73-year old was one of three outbreak victims who developed hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) as a result of their infections. The other two HUS victims – a four-year old girl and a 14-year old boy – both remain in serious condition. The outbreak is still under investigation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns P.T. Super Saku Bali (Indonesia) that a March 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Best Express Foods, Inc. (Williamston, MI) that an August/September 2011 inspection of the company’s food manufacturing facility revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in 26 environmental swab samples, in addition to significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- Allergy Alert: Melinda’s Biscotti recalls Melinda’s Biscotti Gluten Free Almond Dark Chocolate Biscotti (60-65g and 260g; All codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk, and Melinda’s Biscotti Lemon Blueberry White Chocolate Biscotti (50g; All codes), due to the presence of milk and tree nuts. The recalled products were sold in British Columbia.
- Allergy Alert: Canada Bread Co. Ltd. recalls Dempster’s Signature 100% Whole Wheat Bread (600g and 3 x 600g; Code 2203; Best before dates between JL 20 and AU 02, B1A), due to the presence of undeclared oats and barley. The recalled products were sold in British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall: Nature’s Emporium (Newmarket, ON) recalls Baby Move Prune Concentrate with Prebiotics (120mL glass bottles; UPC 729609019878; All codes up to and including Lot #12179), due to possible contamination with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold at Nature’s Emporium, 16655 Yonge Street, Newmarket, Ontario from January 2012 to July 2012.
- Food Safety Advisory: Health Canada reminds Canadians that raw or undercooked sprouts should not be eaten by young children, older adults, pregnant women or those with weakened immune systems.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Reitan Distribution A/S recalls White Cheddar Cheese (200g pieces; Product of Holland; Produced 25-06-2012; Best before 05-11-2012; Batch No. 4338867/57208), due to growth of mold on some of the cheeses. The recalled cheese was sold at Løvbjerg Supermarkets and REMA 100 stores across Denmark.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Prompt Thai 2000 (Wholesale) recalls all date codes of Lady’s Choice Ham Spread (470ml jar), Lady’s Choice Bacon Spread (470ml jar), Lady’s Choice Tuna Spread (470ml jar), Lady’s Choice Sandwich Spread (470ml jar), Knorr Crab & Corn Real Chinese Soup (55g sachet), Knorr Pork & Mushroom Real Chinese Soup (55g sachet), and Knorr Nido Oriental Style Real Chinese Soup (60g sachet), because the products contain meat, egg and dairy ingredients that do not have the necessary import approvals.
- Outbreak Alert (Finland): The source of a Salmonella Agona outbreak that sickened 30 people who attended a private function at a Helsinki restaurant has not been determined. The final results of the outbreak investigation will be complete next month.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1053): Histamine in chilled tuna loins from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Abu Dhabi): The Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority has charged 18 companies in the Western Region for food safety violations, issued warnings against 7 others, and destroyed 728 Kg of food items during an inspection campaign in Al Ruwais and Ghayathi.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected food poisoning outbreaks involving seven people, all of whom at at a single Kowloon City restaurant on July 20th.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): Forty patients at three health facilities supplied by North Shore Hospital’s kitchen have been stricken with vomiting and diarrhea. The outbreak is though to be food-related, but is distinct from the Listeria outbreak reported in Hawkes Bay last week.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.