Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Cass-Clay Creamery (Fargo, ND) recalls Cass-Clay Maple Nut Ice Cream (1 gal/3.78L; UPC 70422-03404; Plant #38-25; all date codes), Cass-Clay Premium Light Maple Nut Ice Cream (1 gal/3.78L; UPC 70422-23404; Plant #38-25; all date codes) and Hornbacher’s Maple Nut Ice Cream (1/2 gal/1.89L; UPC 41130-21666; Plant #38-25; all date codes) due to the presence of undeclared Brazil nuts, and Cass-Clay Premium Light Double Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream (1/2-gal/1.89L; UPC 70422-24061; Plant #38-25; all date codes) due to the presence of undeclared peanut oil and soy lecithin. The recalled products were distributed in Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
- Animal Feed Safety Recall: PMI Nutrition International expands its earlier recall to include additional Mazuri® and LabDiet® animal feed products, because these products may contain elevated levels of vitamin D. The recalled products were distributed nationally in the USA and exported to customers in Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Taiwan, Singapore, Chile and Uruguay. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products.
- Animal Feed Safety Recall: Land O’Lakes Purina Feed LLC recalls Purina Fish Chow® Meal (50lb; Lot #May 05 12 1; Formula #5120), due to elevated levels of vitamin D. The recalled products were distributed nationwide.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Wellements LLC recalls Baby Move™ Prune Concentrate liquid dietary supplement (4 oz; UPC 729609019878; All lots up to and including Lot #12179), because one of the ingredients used in the product (Purimuni galacto-oligosaccharide) tested positive for Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed nationwide from January 2012 to July 2012 through retail stores and online retailers.
- Food Safety/Outbreak Alert: FDA warns consumers not to eat raw or partially cooked oysters and clams with tags listing Oyster Bay Harbor, Nassau County, New York as the harvest area, following reports of Vibrio parahaemolyticus illnesses in several states. New York State Department of Environmental Conservation closed Oyster Bay Harbor to shellfish harvesting on July 13. Shellfish harvested from Oyster Bay Harbor were distributed in several states, including, but not necessarily limited to, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island.
- Allergy Alert: TWI Foods Inc. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Crispy Just Baked Punjabi Cookies (800g plastic clamshell pkgs; UPC 6 27265 00152 0), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Merrylynd Organics recalls Merrylynd Organics Maple Syrup – Medium (375 mL and 1L; Lots 12-1 and 12-2), due to the presence of heavy metal (lead) contamination. The recalled product was sold in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Canada Safeway Ltd., Loblaw Companies Ltd. and The Product People Inc. recall Gills Onions Fresh Diced Red Onions (198g; Lot code 22YAA1A2184; UPC 6 43550 00044 3; Best before 07/20/12), Gills Onions Fresh Diced Red Onions (198g; Lot code 22RAA1A2184; UPC 6 43550 00045 0; Best before 07/20/12) and Gills Onions Fresh Diced Celery & Onions (198g; Lot code 22YAA1A2184; UPC 6 43550 00046 7; Best before 07/20/12), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were imported from the USA and sold in Alberta (all three retailers), British Columbia (Canada Safeway and Loblaw), Manitoba (Canada Safeway and Loblaw), Northwest Territories (Canada Safeway), Ontario (Canada Safeway and Loblaw), Quebec (Loblaw) and Saskatchewan (Canada Safeway and Loblaw).
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.