Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert Update: Frozen desserts recalled by Arctic Zero Inc. (Escondido, CA) due to the presence of undeclared milk allergen were sold nationwide at Whole Foods, Publix, Sprouts, Winn Dixie, and independent Natural and Grocery Stores, including Giant Food Stores.
- Food Supplement Safety Recall: Sedona Labs recalls iFlora® Kids Multi-Probiotic® (UPC 6 48575 01013 2; Lot #1074711, 1479611, 1640811, & 1734411 and UPC 6 48575 01014 9; Lot #1595811 & 2089411), because Sedona’s supplier of Galactooligosaccharide has recalled the ingredient due to a Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed between 3/16/2011 and 5/3/2012 throughout the US to health food stores and internet retailers and sold via health care professionals.
- Food Safety Recall: Carl Rittberger Sr., Inc. (Zanesville, OH) recalls Spiced Loaf, Breakfast Loaf, Garlic Bologna, German Brand Bologna, Wieners, Grillers, Kielbasa, Straight HB Roll, and Natural Casing Wieners (5 to 6 lb wholesale packages; code dates 26 and 27; purchased after 06/25/2012 through 07/06/2012) and Wieners, Natural Casing Wieners, Grillers, Straight HB Roll and Kielbasa (retail packages purchased after 6/25/2012), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall: Combs Produce (Dallas, TX) recalls Cross Valley Farms and Packer Label whole tomatoes (Lots53886701 & 53892701; distributed to two US Foods distribution centers in Texas between June 27th and July 7th, 2012) because the equipment has tested positive for E. coli.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Hannaford Supermarkets recalls Homestyle Meatballs with Sauce (sold by the pound in the deli department), Meatball Panini – cold (UPC 941260723096) and Meatball Panini – hot (UPC 94126072102), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The three items were among a number of frozen, ready-to-eat meat and poultry products that were recalled by Buona Vita Inc. (Bridgeton, NJ), after testing by the Ohio Department of Agriculture and USDA found Listeria monocytogenes.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Ohio): Five people who attended a July 3rd picnic at Neff’s Lawn Care in Germantown, OH are confirmed to be infected with E. coli O157:H7, according to Marler Blog. At least 36 attendees at the picnic have become ill; 9 were hospitalized.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns New Rich City Company (Philadelphia, PA) that a June 2012 inspection of the company’s multiple food warehouse documented significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for foods, including the presence of rodent excreta pellets, rodent urine stains, live insects, dead insects, avian excreta, live animals, animal excreta/urine, animal food and animal hair.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns HPC Foods, Ltd. (Honolulu, HI) that a March 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facilities found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Riverfront Egg Robbers, Inc. (Biscoe, AR) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Freshwater Fish Products, Inc. (Bradford, AR) that a February 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Outbreak Alert (New Brunswick): New Brunswick public health officials have confirmed four cases of E. coli O157:H7 in the Fredericton area, according to a CBC report. Three of the victims were hospitalized. Lab tests are underway to determine whether all four victims were infected with the same strain of E. coli O157:H7. These same tests will reveal whether there is any connection between the Fredericton outbreak and the recent outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 in Miramichi.
- Food Safety Recall (Netherlands): Britvic Soft Drinks recalls all new Robinsons Fruit Shoot packages from the market, due to a problem with the safety of the packaging.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoires Pierre Fabre Dermatologie recalls Solution Moussante/Foaming Solution (250 ml; Lot G99003; Expiry 01/2015), due to lapses in Good Manufacturing Practices for the active ingredient, chlorhexidine digluconate.
- Food Safety Alert (UK): Sainsbury’s store at Upton (Wirral) closed its deli counter after environmental health officers discovered Listeria in food samples, according to the Wirral Globe.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0954): Salmonella Montevideo in fishmeal from Denmark; distributed to Denmark and the Russian Federation.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0956): Salmonella enteritidis in frozen beef trimmings from Poland, via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0957): Mercury in cooled swordfish from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0959): Salmonella in frozen skinless boneless chicken breast from Brazil; distributed to Estonia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0960): Histamine in raw frozen tuna loins from Vietnam; distributed to Belgium, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, the Netherlands and Sweden.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert Update (Cuba): The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control is monitoring the cholera situation in Cuba, including media reports that the disease has spread beyond Manzanillo to other cities, including Havana. As of July 3rd, the Cuban Ministry of Health confirmed 53 cases of Vibrio cholerae in Manzanillo, including 3 deaths.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.