Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Fruiti Pops, Inc. recalls Fruiti Pops Classic Coconut Frozen Dessert Bars (4-oz bars; UPC 763734 000011; No lot numbers or expiration dates), due to the presence of undeclared egg yolk. The recalled bars were sold by push cart vendors and ice cream trucks in Southern California between June 25, 2012 and June 28, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Andante Dairy (Petaluma, CA) recalls Andante Dairy Cheese (sizes from 5 oz to 8 oz; No code dates or variety information on packages), due to a lack of proper pasteurization. Andante Dairy cheeses, except for Musette, Tomme Dolce and Etude varieties, are under a quarantine order, as the lack of proper pasteurization could have allowed the survival of dangerous pathogens. The cheeses were sold mainly to retail markets, restaurants and cheese shops in California, with very limited distribution in Chicago and New York.
- Animal Feed Safety Recall: PMI Nutrition Intl., LLC (Brentwood, MO) recalls LabDiet® Guinea Pig Diet (50lb; Formula No. 5025; Lot No. APR17122), Mazuri® Maned Wolf Diet (33lb; Formula No. 5MD9; Lot #APR21122), Mazuri® Small Bird Maintenance (25lb; Formula #56A6; Lot #APR15123), and Mazuri® Primate Maintenance Biscuit (25lb; Formula #5MA2; Lot #APR22122), due to the potential for an elevated Vitamin D level in these products. The recalled products were manufactured at the company’s Richmond, IN feed plant and were distributed throughout the USA and to a few international customers.
- Allergy Alert (UK): The Co-op recalls Co-operative Truly Irresistible Fairtrade Peruvian Dark Chocolate with Dried Sweetened Cranberries (Best before 1 February 2013 and 2 February 2013), because the products contain milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Stella’s Bakery recalls Romkugler (300g; 5 pcs), Tree trunks (350g; 4 pcs), Butter Tart (400g), Cinnamon Tang (350g), and Day/Night Rivets (350g; 4 pcs) with production dates of 3 July 2012 or earlier, due to the presence of undeclared milk powder.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Britvic Soft Drinks UK recalls Robinsons Fruit Shoot and Fruit Shoot Hydro packs featuring the new Magicap (All batch codes and best before dates), because the caps may become fully or partially detached. The recalled product was not distributed directly in Ireland, but some retailers may have bought affected packs from Northern Ireland or the UK.
- Food Safety Recall (Multiple countries): Britvic International recalls Teisseire Fruit Shoot (20 cl; Best before 02-2013 and 03-2013) due to a technical problem with the bottle caps. The product was sold in Belgium and France beginning in June 2012 in individual bottles and in multi-packs.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Dansk Supermarked Indkøb recalls ATCO Hazelnuts (200g plastic bags; Lot 2384; Best before 31/10-2012; Product of Germany), due to mold growth in individual bags of the hazelnut kernels.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Auchan and Simply Market recall Pouce brand Sardines in tomato sauce (120g; Best before 20/01/2015, 21/01/2015 and 26/01/2015), because the products may contain histamine.
- Outbreak Alert (France): Health authorities have received reports of eight cases of hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) and four cases of bloody diarrhea since May 28th in Aquitaine and Poitou-Charentes. All eight HUS victims are children; 6 of them are confirmed to be infected with E. coli O157. Seven of the eight HUS cases are residents of Aquitaine. All of the 12 outbreak victims reported having consumed ground beef – in most cases, purchased at Intermarché or Netto stores.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0916): Benzalkonium chloride in dietary food supplement from Slovakia, via the Czech Republic; distributed to Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0917): Dead mouse in pizza from Italy; distributed to Italy and Japan.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0918): Mold infestation in hazelnut kernels from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0919): Unauthorized 1,3 dimethylamylamine in food supplement from the USA; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0921): Didecyldimethylammonium chloride in chilled citrus fruit from South Africa; distributed to France, Germany and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0923): Salmonella in beef meat from the Netherlands; distributed to Sweden.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Coles Supermarkets recalls Coles Lite Sour Cream (300ml plastic tub; Use by 02/08/12), due to E. coli contamination. the recalled product was sold in Coles Supermarkets in Western Australia only.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert Update (Cuba): Cuba’s Health Ministry has confirmed that three people have died and 53 more are infected in a cholera outbreak in the south-east part of the country. BBC News reports that about 1,000 people have received medical attention so far – most of them from the town of Manzanillo.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.